American contribution to the world

In fairness I made it clear from the beginning that I wasn't blaming the U.S for the ills of the world. Only that America could have influenced the world positively like no other country could but the opportunity was ignored in the post war 'gold rush'.

Earlier in the thread someone (he is a non American, in fact he's barely human) started going on about, 'eating as much as you can for a few dollars'.

It seems a little obscene to me that people should even want to eat as much as they can, especially in a world where there is so much starvation and need. I was brought up on the, 'Enough is as good as a feast' principle.

You must admit that most Americans do have an inclination towards wanting bigger, better and more. They've been influenced by the big corporations and governments to think this way since the post war boom years. I know that acquisition is a basic human tendency but America really has taken it to an artform.

And, come on Buck, you DON'T speak the Queen's english - nor do I or the Aussies! We get mocked by the U.S for not having teeth that would put the mid-day sun to shame - and do I really need to remind you of the institutional p*ss taking that you yanks have always given us for our supposed 'Rain in Spain' accent?

As for your fast food - don't even get me started on that one!!!

My children were raised to eat at the table at the proper time, and eat what was put on the table. Take as much as you want but eat it all. I wouild like to say my grandchildren were raised the same way, but can't. They snack all day, peck at the food cooked for the proper meals of the day, and waste most of it. No amount of chastizing them by my wife or I does a bit of good. Two of the three families live out of state, one in Florida, the other in Oregon so we don't see them very often. The other one lives a few miles away, and happens to have the best behaved kids of the lot. I'm claiming nothing but we must be doing something right.

As for teeth, I inherited a graveyard of teeth from birth. We never worried about it much back home. Most of us were no better equipped, and finished up having full mouth extractions under the National Health. When I got here I got comments about the state of my teeth, and was a little amazed about the number of kids with their mouths full of metal trying to get their teeth straight, especially as there is no such thing in America as free dental care, and some procedures are very expensive. Finally, after losing a front upper tooth in a bike racing accident, I had a bridge made to clear up the gap. Result, universal acceptance. I don't know many English people who speak like Henry Higgins, but there was a time when I travelled the length and breadth of Britain that I could identify a particular accent within about thirty miles. As for America, there are generic accent differences but not as clearly defined as Britain. The South clearly speaks differently from the North East. NYC is clearly able to be defined including New Jersey, and since we live halfway between NYC and Boston can tell one from the other, but much of the mid west and west talk alike. While I was writng this, my wife told me that since it was so hot outside, 104 F, that she didn't want me working the grill, and why didn't we go out to Friendly's for supper. Friendly's is a family restaurant which doesn't sell liquor or beer. That suits me because I seldom drink. I had what is called a Vermonter, a half pound burger, covered with a lot of bacon, and Vermont cheddar, as well as tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise, with a side order of fries, followed by a hotfudge mint chocolate sundae with whipped cream and cherry. My wife had flounder with garlic mashed potatoes, and onion rings, followed by a maple walnut sundae. We also had bottomless coffee in the American tradition. You only pay for the first cup, the rest are free. Nothing that McDonald's or Burger King makes even comes close. Total cost $29.00, plus a $6.00 tip. You tip if you want to, no service charge. If you don't tip, don't go back. Vee haf ways!

For the longest time, I thought that Americans were oversensitive about the state of the world. I can remember as a young member of the RN being in the Enlisted Men's club in Naples having a beer with an also young USN Seaman. He was in a very low state of depression about the evil Russian Empire, while I was eager to get out and go find some talent. He wasn't the only one then who was troubled. In more recent times I find America much more concerned about what's happening within its borders than trying to save the world. We're sick of our young men and women having to go out and fight in wars we can't win, and I know your people feel the same. We're tired of being blamed for the world's ills, tired of being told we don't speak the Queen's English, tired of being told our fast food is lousy, when half the world goes out and eats it. I think we'd like to just say the heck with it and just isolate. But we know we can't whilever there are terrorists out there willing to blow us all to kingdom come. No smilies, I can't find an appropriate one.
The USA is a great country, like all countries it makes mistakes but that doesn't make it unique, I've only visited twice but I've also visited Arab/muslim countries which have been around thousands of years longer than the US and they still haven't got their act together

...I can remember as a young member of the RN being in the Enlisted Men's club in Naples having a beer with an also young USN Seaman. He was in a very low state of depression about the evil Russian Empire...

Fortunately, perhaps, neither the US nor any other country is run by young enlisted sailors. Neither you nor I might like some of the people responsible for running the country, but they didn't get their jobs by having their names picked at random from a very large hat containing the names of all the people.

...In more recent times I find America much more concerned about what's happening within its borders than trying to save the world.

All Americans, or the ones you've been talking to recently? I have connections with an organisation run jointly by the US and German governments.

Both governments spend a significant amount of money (This is a simplification) teaching young executives, policemen, servicemen from a very large number of countries to work together. One goal (not the only goal) is to teach the students that they can indeed talk to one another. With a bit of luck, should a senior (or even a mid-level) person in one country find that (s)he has a problem with the people running another country, (s)he might remember that (s)he worked with somebody from that country a few years ago and might remember the phone number of the erstwhile colleague.

'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' - but if you don't know who to talk to, which is the more likely?

The budget for that organisation is considerable. The taxpayers of the US and the FRG fund it.

You could, of course, arguethat it is in the interest of both the US and the FRG to promote peace and stability. Quite so. - But surely it's in everybody's interest to promote peace and stability?

Why should the Germans and the Americans be stuck with the bill?

We're sick of our young men and women having to go out and fight in wars we can't win, and I know your people feel the same.

Agreed.

We're tired of being blamed for the world's ills, tired of being told we don't speak the Queen's English, tired of being told our fast food is lousy, when half the world goes out and eats it.

Is the Queen English? As for fast food being crap, well you Americans do eat a lot of Burger King.

Burger King (a great British habit) was owned by Diageo - which, in spite of the name, is a Great British Company.

And BK burgers are better than wormburgers, too.

I think we'd like to just say the heck with it and just isolate. But we know we can't whilever there are terrorists out there willing to blow us all to kingdom come...

I wonder? How many terrorists enter North Korea? I'm a bit of an isolationist - but I would be really upset if somebody told me I couldn't travel wherever I want. (Most of my 'travel' involves hiking within 20 miles of my home.) But I've got a few homes; they're spread abut a bit and I would be pretty upset if somebody said 'You can't go there!'

Freedom isn't free. It has a price - and trhat price is often high.

Fortunately, perhaps, neither the US nor any other country is run by young enlisted sailors. Neither you nor I might like some of the people responsible for running the country, but they didn't get their jobs by having their names picked at random from a very large hat containing the names of all the people.

All Americans, or the ones you've been talking to recently? I have connections with an organisation run jointly by the US and German governments.

Both governments spend a significant amount of money (This is a simplification) teaching young executives, policemen, servicemen from a very large number of countries to work together. One goal (not the only goal) is to teach the students that they can indeed talk to one another. With a bit of luck, should a senior (or even a mid-level) person in one country find that (s)he has a problem with the people running another country, (s)he might remember that (s)he worked with somebody from that country a few years ago and might remember the phone number of the erstwhile colleague.

'Jaw Jaw is better than War War' - but if you don't know who to talk to, which is the more likely?

The budget for that organisation is considerable. The taxpayers of the US and the FRG fund it.

You could, of course, arguethat it is in the interest of both the US and the FRG to promote peace and stability. Quite so. - But surely it's in everybody's interest to promote peace and stability?

Why should the Germans and the Americans be stuck with the bill?

Agreed.

Is the Queen English? As for fast food being crap, well you Americans do eat a lot of Burger King.

Burger King (a great British habit) was owned by Diageo - which, in spite of the name, is a Great British Company.

And BK burgers are better than wormburgers, too.

I wonder? How many terrorists enter North Korea? I'm a bit of an isolationist - but I would be really upset if somebody told me I couldn't travel wherever I want. (Most of my 'travel' involves hiking within 20 miles of my home.) But I've got a few homes; they're spread abut a bit and I would be pretty upset if somebody said 'You can't go there!'

Freedom isn't free. It has a price - and trhat price is often high.

A couple of points. You ask me if I've talked to all Americans, 300 million of them? Of course not. But just about everyone I talk to is an American, or maybe a few Irish illegals as well. Their talk is about home, the cost of gasoline, medicine, food, the kids, the son in Iraq, the Yankees, the Redsox, not some Organization they've never heard of. We drive from CT to Florida, through Penn, Virginia, the Carolinas, and Georgia and the talk is pretty much the same, except we have a different view of the Civil War. As for Foreign Affairs, things like the bombing of Oslo, the Japanese Sunami, other disasters also raise our compassion, so we reach in our pockets and help out. Not our government, us. Though our government helps out as much or more than any other.

Burger King is a joke. I won't touch it with a bargepole. I'm no lover of Mickey's either, but I'll eat a McMuffin sooner than be late for work.

I had what is called a Vermonter, a half pound burger, covered with a lot of bacon, and Vermont cheddar, as well as tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise, with a side order of fries, followed by a hotfudge mint chocolate sundae with whipped cream and cherry. My wife had flounder with garlic mashed potatoes, and onion rings, followed by a maple walnut sundae. We also had bottomless coffee in the American tradition. You only pay for the first cup, the rest are free. Nothing that McDonald's or Burger King makes even comes close. Total cost $29.00, plus a $6.00 tip. You tip if you want to, no service charge. If you don't tip, don't go back. Vee haf ways!

I must admit you've got my mouth watering with that Vermonter - as for the dessert, sounds delish too! Your wife's meal sounds equally mouth-watering.

I know burgers don't HAVE to be full of fat, additives and heart stopping junk but MacDonalds, with the help of top notch advertisers, are damaging the health of a lot of kid's with their jolly clown and a free toy for every kilo of fat consumed!

My O.H and me enjoy cooking and we have friends round to eat quite often. For Xmas I bought her a cook book (along with other pressies - what are you trying to say)?! The book is by the delectable Nigella Lawson (even if you don't like Nigellas cooking you can drool over her picture on the cover of the book)!? She has some fantastic recipes for burgers most of them actually contain real meat!! If we go out to eat it's usually for an Indian or Chinese (so unsophisticated)!! or good old fish and chips!

So back to the thread - Here are some things that America gave us that I love - errr - I'll get back to you on that one Buck!!

I think the biggest contribution America has made to the world is bombs which blow up innocent men women and children but it's not called terrorism it's called helping the people, liberating the people, so I guess that's okay then. Funny how the people are not asked before bombs are dropped on their heads from the air.

I think the biggest contribution America has made to the world is bombs which blow up innocent men women and children but it's not called terrorism it's called helping the people, liberating the people, so I guess that's okay then. Funny how the people are not asked before bombs are dropped on their heads from the air.
Oh! Shut Up FCS:rant: Ever hear of Dresden or Coventry especially, that happened before America entered the war.. They were full of innocent people too, but you wouldn't know about that. It takes an education.

:)......................

I must admit you've got my mouth watering with that Vermonter - as for the dessert, sounds delish too! Your wife's meal sounds equally mouth-watering.

I know burgers don't HAVE to be full of fat, additives and heart stopping junk but MacDonalds, with the help of top notch advertisers, are damaging the health of a lot of kid's with their jolly clown and a free toy for every kilo of fat consumed!

My O.H and me enjoy cooking and we have friends round to eat quite often. For Xmas I bought her a cook book (along with other pressies - what are you trying to say)?! The book is by the delectable Nigella Lawson (even if you don't like Nigellas cooking you can drool over her picture on the cover of the book)!? She has some fantastic recipes for burgers most of them actually contain real meat!! If we go out to eat it's usually for an Indian or Chinese (so unsophisticated)!! or good old fish and chips!

So back to the thread - Here are some things that America gave us that I love - errr - I'll get back to you on that one Buck!!

As a matter of fact, I adore Nigella's food and have the DVR set to record her shows on the Food Channel. The Vermonter sounds good, but my very favorite burger of all time is a turkey burger topped with organic applewood smoked bacon, monterey jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, grilled serrano chiles, avocado, and a smear of chipotle mayo. This is the only food I will not share with ANYONE. Now I want to make some tonight but I'm too lazy to grill my own chiles.

As for most fast food here, I agree it is absolute garbage. The fact that it is garbage makes me sad, because most of these places began here in California as an offshoot of the car culture and spread around the world. For us growing up, it was an occasional treat. The McDonalds I remember as a child bears very little resemblence to the one that we know today. The same for KFC. For years, KFC wouldn't cook the chicken until you ordered it and all their pies were made fresh on the premises and only on certain days. McDonalds had a very limited menu back then, and there was no inside seating. No milkshakes, no Big Macs. They had two drinks, Coke and water. And one size fries. Small.

Perhaps we have too much free choice here, but you are also free not to eat it. If your little one is whining for the toy in the Happy Meal (as my son often did) you can buy just the toy. I did that a few times, he had zero interest in the food. They prey on the poor, the uneducated, the lazy, the weak willed, and those in a hurry. As buck pointed out, an occasional egg mcmuffin isn't going to kill you. (You can make them at home, it's not hard) Unfortunately, for something ridiculous, like a nickel more, they also push some overprocessed hash brown potatos and get this, not orange juice, but orange soda. For breakfast. :gag:

An American contribution to the world, root beer! Specifically, A&W Root Beer.

Archived