American contribution to the world

Still got 'em up here in the frozen North Harley

Next time you're in one ask the manager where they're located in the greater LA area USUK. I haven't seen one around here in donkeys years. I used to like their burgers also.

Remember the Bob's Big Boys? They closed a lot down also. A mate of mine was a manager of one of them. When they closed down his outlet he managed to get the statue of fat Bob that stood outside the entrance. It's on his patio now

Briefly thought of this thread last night when I watched a film called Fair Game with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts. Excellent film.

Basically the story behind the weapons of mass destruction joke that was played on us all and the outing of a female CIA agent (Valerie Plame) whose husband (fmr ambassador Joseph Wilson) dared to suggest the US Government was not telling the truth.

So whilst USA bring us the greatness of the silver screen it unfortunately also acts like a junkie in need of a constant war fix so that the military industrial complex can keep rolling on.

Here ya go Harley :-)

Atascadero A & W Family Restaurant

Buena Park A & W Family Restaurant

Cabazon A & W Family Restaurant

Capitola A & W Family Restaurant

Citrus Heights A & W Family Restaurant

Corona A & W Family Restaurant - 1340 El Sobrante Rd

Corona A & W Family Restaurant - 1298 El Sobrante Rd

Exeter A & W Family Restaurant

Gilroy A & W Family Restaurant

Granada Hills A & W Family Restaurant

Hanford A & W Family Restaurant

Hawthorne A & W Family Restaurant

Hollister A & W Family Restaurant

La Mesa A & W Family Restaurant

Lathrop A & W Family Restaurant

Lodi A & W Family Restaurant

Los Angeles A & W Family Restaurant - 16906 San Fernando Mission Blvd

Los Angeles A & W Family Restaurant - 8522 Beverly Blvd Fl 8

Los Banos A & W Family Restaurant

Mentone A & W Family Restaurant

Merced A & W Family Restaurant

Modesto A & W Family Restaurant - 1467 Mitchell Rd

Modesto A & W Family Restaurant - 1404 G St

Norwalk A & W Family Restaurant

Oakdale A & W Family Restaurant - 1560 E F St

Oakhurst A & W Family Restaurant

Ontario A & W Family Restaurant

Patterson A & W Family Restaurant

Rancho Cordova A & W Family Restaurant - 10427 Folsom Blvd

Rancho Cordova A & W Family Restaurant - 10399 Folsom Blvd

Reseda A & W Family Restaurant

Riverbank A & W Family Restaurant

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant - 4219 Marconi Ave

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant (CLOSED) - 5936 Freeport Blvd

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant - 1601 Del Paso Blvd

San Rafael A & W Family Restaurant

Santa Rosa A & W Family Restaurant

St Helena A & W Family Restaurant

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 134 E Charter Way

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 4450 E Waterloo Rd

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 3519 E Hammer Ln

Sunnyvale A & W Family Restaurant

Tulare A & W Family Restaurant

Turlock A & W Family Restaurant

Venice A & W Family Restaurant

Visalia A & W Family Restaurant - 301 N Willis St

Visalia A & W Family Restaurant - 2611 S Mooney Blvd

Yucaipa A & W Family Restaurant

Briefly thought of this thread last night when I watched a film called Fair Game with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts. Excellent film.

Basically the story behind the weapons of mass destruction joke that was played on us all and the outing of a female CIA agent (Valerie Plame) whose husband (fmr ambassador Joseph Wilson) dared to suggest the US Government was not telling the truth.

So whilst USA bring us the greatness of the silver screen it unfortunately also acts like a junkie in need of a constant war fix so that the military industrial complex can keep rolling on.

Not seen the film Nineteen66 but it seems to be bang on the button.

Hollywood has always been an extremely effective propaganda machine manipulated and patronised by rich men and governments since its early days. It successfully convinced millions that Native Americans were a bunch of whooping warmongers and that they were little more than animals deserving of all they got (or rather, all they got taken from them)! Hving said that - I couldn't live without some of Hollywoods creations!!

Not seen the film Nineteen66 but it seems to be bang on the button.

Hollywood has always been an extremely effective propaganda machine manipulated and patronised by rich men and governments since its early days. It successfully convinced millions that Native Americans were a bunch of whooping warmongers and that they were little more than animals deserving of all they got (or rather, all they got taken from them)! Hving said that - I couldn't live without some of Hollywoods creations!!

Maybe a bit like the Zulus were depicted in the film of the same name starring Stanley Baker, Michael Caine and Jack Hawkins. Ever saw that one? Based on an actual occurence at a place called Rourke's Drift in South Africa around 1878

Stout lads mowing down hundreds of Zulus armed only with chucka spears. Several troopers were awarded the VC after that engagement.

There are no hands free of blood when it comes to the Anglo-Saxon expansion beyond the British Isles either of the American born variety or the British born variety. It all came from the common blood lines shared by both nations and the inherited instinct for acquiring as much land and riches as possible and bu**er the indigenous people who got in their way.

Here ya go Harley :-)

Atascadero A & W Family Restaurant

Buena Park A & W Family Restaurant

Cabazon A & W Family Restaurant

Capitola A & W Family Restaurant

Citrus Heights A & W Family Restaurant

Corona A & W Family Restaurant - 1340 El Sobrante Rd

Corona A & W Family Restaurant - 1298 El Sobrante Rd

Exeter A & W Family Restaurant

Gilroy A & W Family Restaurant

Granada Hills A & W Family Restaurant

Hanford A & W Family Restaurant

Hawthorne A & W Family Restaurant

Hollister A & W Family Restaurant

La Mesa A & W Family Restaurant

Lathrop A & W Family Restaurant

Lodi A & W Family Restaurant

Los Angeles A & W Family Restaurant - 16906 San Fernando Mission Blvd

Los Angeles A & W Family Restaurant - 8522 Beverly Blvd Fl 8

Los Banos A & W Family Restaurant

Mentone A & W Family Restaurant

Merced A & W Family Restaurant

Modesto A & W Family Restaurant - 1467 Mitchell Rd

Modesto A & W Family Restaurant - 1404 G St

Norwalk A & W Family Restaurant

Oakhurst A & W Family Restaurant

Ontario A & W Family Restaurant

Patterson A & W Family Restaurant

Rancho Cordova A & W Family Restaurant - 10427 Folsom Blvd

Rancho Cordova A & W Family Restaurant - 10399 Folsom Blvd

Reseda A & W Family Restaurant

Riverbank A & W Family Restaurant

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant - 4219 Marconi Ave

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant (CLOSED) - 5936 Freeport Blvd

Sacramento A & W Family Restaurant - 1601 Del Paso Blvd

San Rafael A & W Family Restaurant

Santa Rosa A & W Family Restaurant

St Helena A & W Family Restaurant

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 134 E Charter Way

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 4450 E Waterloo Rd

Stockton A & W Family Restaurant - 3519 E Hammer Ln

Sunnyvale A & W Family Restaurant

Tulare A & W Family Restaurant

Turlock A & W Family Restaurant

Venice A & W Family Restaurant

Visalia A & W Family Restaurant - 301 N Willis St

Visalia A & W Family Restaurant - 2611 S Mooney Blvd

Yucaipa A & W Family Restaurant

Thanks for that USUK. Looks like there are a few still within a few miles of my home

Maybe a bit like the Zulus were depicted in the film of the same name starring Stanley Baker, Michael Caine and Jack Hawkins. Ever saw that one? Based on an actual occurence at a place called Rourke's Drift in South Africa around 1878

Stout lads mowing down hundreds of Zulus armed only with chucka spears. Several troopers were awarded the VC after that engagement.

There are no hands free of blood when it comes to the Anglo-Saxon expansion beyond the British Isles either of the American born variety or the British born variety. It all came from the common blood lines shared by both nations and the inherited instinct for acquiring as much land and riches as possible and bu**er the indigenous people who got in their way.

Oh come now Harleyman, you know better than that. Doesnt matter how well armed a small unit is, against a force of vastly superior numbers armed with spears (although there were quite a few armed with Martini rifles plus the rifles they had plundered from trouncing the British forces at Isandlwana), the rearguard action at rorke's drift is still pretty remarkable (even if it's importance and the large number of VC's awarded was largely overplayed thanks to the defeat at Isandlwana and the need in Victorian Britain for a moral boost following such an embarressing defeat).

Oh come now Harleyman, you know better than that. Doesnt matter how well armed a small unit is, against a force of vastly superior numbers armed with spears (although there were quite a few armed with Martini rifles plus the rifles they had plundered from trouncing the British forces at Isandlwana), the rearguard action at rorke's drift is still pretty remarkable (even if it's importance and the large number of VC's awarded was largely overplayed thanks to the defeat at Isandlwana and the need in Victorian Britain for a moral boost following such an embarressing defeat).

And I'll bet my Cockney great grandaddy was out in Trafalgar Square along with thousands of others cheering loudly when news of the trouncing of Fuzzy Wuzzy was received in London.

I'm not disputing the bravery of the soldiers of the regiment involved. It was a commendable action given the mentality of the Victorians just as defeating Sitting Bull and Geronimo was regarded as a similar achievement by those in Washington.

I was merely trying to point out that there's no point in indulging in the " pot calling the kettle black"

And I'll bet my Cockney great grandaddy was out in Trafalgar Square along with thousands of others cheering loudly when news of the trouncing of Fuzzy Wuzzy was received in London.

I'm not disputing the bravery of the soldiers of the regiment involved. It was a commendable action given the mentality of the Victorians just as defeating Sitting Bull and Geronimo was regarded as a similar achievement by those in Washington.

I was merely trying to point out that there's no point in indulging in the " pot calling the kettle black"

Your grandad was a cockney? I knew there was something I didn't like about you ;)

I doubt there will have been any major celebration following Rourke's Drift - I think it was a case of normal service resumed following the defeat at Isandlwana. However it is dangerous to consider the Zulu's as little more than spear-chucking natives. The Zulu army was a highly organised, highly motivated army. Unfortunately for them they beat the worlds premier super power at the time (due to a combination of complacency and shear stupidity) and paid the price for it.

Incidentally, did you know that the British had a rocket battery at Isandlwana? Not that it did 'em much good, mind you...

Archived