American contribution to the world

Your grandad was a cockney? I knew there was something I didn't like about you ;)

I doubt there will have been any major celebration following Rourke's Drift - I think it was a case of normal service resumed following the defeat at Isandlwana. However it is dangerous to consider the Zulu's as little more than spear-chucking natives. The Zulu army was a highly organised, highly motivated army. Unfortunately for them they beat the worlds premier super power at the time (due to a combination of complacency and shear stupidity) and paid the price for it.

Incidentally, did you know that the British had a rocket battery at Isandlwana? Not that it did 'em much good, mind you...

The Victorians were esentially aggressive expansionists in their way of thinking apart from a few "radicals" who thought that it was wrong to appropriate the lands and wealth of foreign peoples.

There was a song very popular at the time which went

We dont want to fight,

but by Jingo if we do,

We've got the ships,

We've got the men

Wre''ve got the money too.

Maybe it was your grandaddy's favourite :)

The Victorians were esentially aggressive expansionists in their way of thinking apart from a few "radicals" who thought that it was wrong to appropriate the lands and wealth of foreign peoples.

There was a song very popular at the time which went

We dont want to fight,

but by Jingo if we do,

We've got the ships,

We've got the men

Wre''ve got the money too.

Maybe it was your grandaddy's favourite :)

And here was I thinking we conquered the World with the cunning use of Flags

49 pages in and has anybody mentioned the hydrogen bomb yet?

I'm sure the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were eternally grateful to be the host cities for the scientific experiments :)

The people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't get Hydrogen bombs. - Fusion weapons hadn't been invented then.

You are correct. I misread the Wikipedia page. Stupid internets, I think it damaged my wireless cable :roll:

I remember those big frosted mugs of A & W root beer they sold at their outlets. It tasted delicious.

All the A & W outlets seems to have disappeared in my part of the swamp. The only one around that was in a local shopping mall closed about two years ago

Bought a Musicman Bass in Nashville, my wife asked what colour they called this metalic bronze type, the man replied "We call that metallic Root Beer Ma'am".

Smuggled it back in two pieces (neck in one case, body in the other) saved £500 on the UK price.

Oh come now Harleyman, you know better than that. Doesnt matter how well armed a small unit is, against a force of vastly superior numbers armed with spears (although there were quite a few armed with Martini rifles plus the rifles they had plundered from trouncing the British forces at Isandlwana), the rearguard action at rorke's drift is still pretty remarkable (even if it's importance and the large number of VC's awarded was largely overplayed thanks to the defeat at Isandlwana and the need in Victorian Britain for a moral boost following such an embarressing defeat).
Sounds a bit like George Armstrong Custer at the Little Bighorn. Instead of VCs, all he got was the general concensus that he was a blerry fool, and rightly so.

49 pages in and has anybody mentioned the hydrogen bomb yet?

I'm sure the people of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were eternally grateful to be the host cities for the scientific experiments :)

Just as millions of people across south east asia must be eternally grateful to the Japanese Empire for the benefits of 4 years of brutal occupation and the wives, mothers and other family members of some 100,000 or more WW2 veterans grateful that their sons didn't have to lose their lives taking the Japanese mainland by force instead

Archived