New jewel indian restaurant.. whats it like?

The review above from Mr Happy (DerbyTup) got me curious. :hihi:

They have their own website and I have to agree, the menu does look quite unusual.

http://www.jewel-restaurant.co.uk/index.htm

Based on the menu and the reviews above I may have to give this place a try, it's just a shame there are no decent watering holes around that neck of the woods.

Regards

Doom

:hihi: I'm glad you've spotted my real personality there Doom - some people don't realise I'm only miserable in my spare time for fun.

I agree that there's not much in the way of decent watering holes around there. It's a pretty depressing area. This place is actually walking distance from Centertainment - I don't know if there's any place to drink in there because I've never been! I don't like being entertained, I risk being happy if I'm entertained. :mad:

Personally I'd go to the Sheffield Tap at the station then jump in a cab maybe.

Re the decor, I can see what they have tried to do, but it's failed! This is a big gaping place, typical old Victorian building with very high ceilings and huge rooms. They've gone for a large patterned dark wallpaper to bring the walls in a bit and make it feel less vacuous. The problem is, the wallpaper is simply dreadful and depressing. Black with a big beigey coloured flower on it. It just doesn't work. A few Indian silks in mauve or emerald green would be much more cheery.

Anyhow, the food is good. I was well pleased with it and I'd definitely go again.

I still think Akbars is better mind you, but this is a really nice change and it's much quieter and a bit more of a refined ambience than Akbars.

Archived