Exercise in Meersbrook Park

Hi guys.

Just letting you know I'm starting a fitness class in Meersbrook Park. The plan is to meet at the entrance where Meersbrook Park road meets Brook road at 6:30pm on Monday 6th June.

It's a 'general exercise' class which lasts for one hour and it'll include cardiovascular and strength training, some SAQ (Speed, Agility & Quickness) training and not forgetting 'toning' for the ladies!

It's open to anyone and everyone. Even if you're not interested please still tell people who may be!

It costs just £3 and it'll be the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Hope to see you there!

Rob

Apologies everyone. The Council has got in touch and told me I can't do the class unless I pay for a trading license. And even then I would have to commit to certain parks, days and times. Unfortunately because the attendance isn't guaranteed I can't afford the license.

I will however be getting in touch with some local schools to see if I can do some classes on their premises.

Any advise would be appreciated.... :)

Thanks, Rob

Seems strange - the council/government are obsessed by obesity, and lecturing is all.

Yet, they make it finacially impossible for a small fitness company like this one to operate, ironically, who are doing the very thing the council want people to do - lose weight

• 1 month later...

Not that strange. Imagine if every business who wished to make a profit could start up in our local parks without permission or licence. The parks would be mayhem and there would be no control over say ice cream vans, hot dog stands, competing fitness groups, kite flying instruction ...etc These might be all over the place, competing for space and punters with organised free activities which do have permission like the Family Sports Days run by Meersbrook Park Users Trust or rounders matches run by Activity Sheffield.

Just imagine....!

Not that strange. Imagine if every business who wished to make a profit could start up in our local parks without permission or licence. The parks would be mayhem and there would be no control over say ice cream vans, hot dog stands, competing fitness groups, kite flying instruction ...etc These might be all over the place, competing for space and punters with organised free activities which do have permission like the Family Sports Days run by Meersbrook Park Users Trust or rounders matches run by Activity Sheffield.

Just imagine....!

These activities are funded through my taxes,

At least with RBh I can choose to take part in the sessions and pay, or to not join the sessions

Caretta, I see your point but we're not talking about businesses setting up left right and centre. We're talking about a group of maybe 5 people getting some exercise. Unfortunately not everyone has a garden to run around in.

And the point is I actually asked permission from the council (which is more than a lot of fitness groups do). And knowing full well that I would be making next to nothing they still wanted me to pay an annual sum to use the park.

In a society full of Tescos, Microsofts, Macdonalds, Starbucks, Fitness Firsts (do I need to go on?!) I would've thought the council would be doing everything they could to help small businesses get established.

Caretta, I see your point but we're not talking about businesses setting up left right and centre. We're talking about a group of maybe 5 people getting some exercise. Unfortunately not everyone has a garden to run around in.

And the point is I actually asked permission from the council (which is more than a lot of fitness groups do). And knowing full well that I would be making next to nothing they still wanted me to pay an annual sum to use the park.

In a society full of Tescos, Microsofts, Macdonalds, Starbucks, Fitness Firsts (do I need to go on?!) I would've thought the council would be doing everything they could to help small businesses get established.

Well said !!

Lets hope once the sports clubs have been cleared off, that the council take just as much effort issuing drinks licences for people who wish to drink alcohol in the parks

• 2 months later...

Archived