Electric shower - or not

Hi. I am going to completely revamp the toilet/shower room. At present it has an electric shower in it, it is a few years old - a 'Mira sprint' - it is OK but I want it to be much more powerful if possible. I think my options are to have another electric one - but are modern ones powerful? or one off the main water supply but it will take ages for water to come through - the tank is in the loft. Any ideas please?

Hi. I am going to completely revamp the toilet/shower room. At present it has an electric shower in it, it is a few years old - a 'Mira sprint' - it is OK but I want it to be much more powerful if possible. I think my options are to have another electric one - but are modern ones powerful? or one off the main water supply but it will take ages for water to come through - the tank is in the loft. Any ideas please?

You are always going to struggle to get any power out of an electric shower because there is a limit to how much heat you can put into the water. The 8KW showers require over 30 amps and that is about the limit for most household switchboards.

At least with an electric shower you don't have to worry about running out of hot water half way through :)

I've got used to electric, don't have to plan when to have the hot water on! It's less powerful than my parents' power shower, but still perfectly powerful enough to wash my hair quite easily,which is usually my benchmark!!

For anyone who has a combi type boiler, I would always recommend a mixer shower. However, as the op hasn't then an electric one is probably the best option. A 10KW will clearly provide a better pressure of hot water than a smaller one, but will require the cable to be upgraded to 10mm2, as it is unlikely this is installed at the moment.

Thanks for your replies. I am interested to know how much improved the electric ones are since ours was installed - it sounds like quite a bit! I know we would waste loads of time and water waiting for a shower off the water mains - as this happens already with the cold washbasin tap.

Thanks for your replies. I am interested to know how much improved the electric ones are since ours was installed

Your current shower is an excellent brand, probably the best. The only way you will improve on it (with electric) is with a 10KW as I suggested.....and preferably the same make...built to last.

Is the issue the electrical power or the water pressure/flow? Or is the flow rate being restricted by the need to heat the water.

If you have adequate temperature but not adequate flow, just be sure that you can get the flow you need, even at reduced temperature, now. In this case, there is room to increase the heat output to raise this increased flow to a nice temperature. However, if you can never get the flow, then a bigger kw shower will not do any good.

Archived