Professor Steve Jones "risks political storm over muslim 'inbreeding'"

http://richarddawkins.net/articles/631999-steve-jones-risks-political-storm-over-muslim-inbreeding

So my question is; do you see this as a continuing problem in the UK (and it seems in Bradford in particular) or can you (as I think I can) see signs of more mixed breeding amongst muslims becoming more the norm in the future?

PS. There's some interesting comments on the Dawkins site as well as on the original Telegraph article site.

Obviously inbreeding causes problems no matter what your race or creed. If people are educated more about it (Old as well as young) then hopefully it wouldn't be so much a problem in the future.

I suppose it depends on the reasons for marrying your relations. If, like with a former work colleague of mine, it is an arranged marriage to bring more of your family into the country (I'm not jumping to conclusions, this is what he told me), then people may remain ignorant of the dangers. The older ones at least, if they are set in their ways and traditions.

Is the concern demographics (Bradford) or a nation (e.g.Pakistan)? Is there any data to suggest that Pakistan has an infant mortality rate due to inbreeding or is Bradford unique?

Apart from the findings I'm not sure much can be done except education or law change.

Obviously inbreeding causes problems no matter what your race or creed. If people are educated more about it (Old as well as young) then hopefully it wouldn't be so much a problem in the future.

I suppose it depends on the reasons for marrying your relations. If, like with a former work colleague of mine, it is an arranged marriage to bring more of your family into the country (I'm not jumping to conclusions, this is what he told me), then people may remain ignorant of the dangers. The older ones at least, if they are set in their ways and traditions.

I thought it was more to do with protecting family wealth, land etc, but I may be very wrong.

a friend of the family works in a maternity ward and has said some people from easily identifiable 3rd world cultures (not religions) have huge problems both with too many babies being born in quick succession and birth defects.

education is the key here.

a friend of the family works in a maternity ward and has said some people from easily identifiable 3rd world cultures (not religions) have huge problems both with too many babies being born in quick succession and birth defects.

education is the key here.

Education.

Ooooh, Education.

Education, thats what you need.

If you wanna be the best

If you wanna beat the rest

Oh-oh steriliasation's what you need;

If you wanna be edu-cated, Oooooh:D

You see what i did there?:hihi:

This subject has been given a good kicking before on SF. The usual apologist for cousin marriage will usually point out that women having children later is just as unhealthy, but from the Telegraph article:

Separate studies have found that while British Pakistanis make up three per cent of all births, they account for one in three British children born with genetic illnesses.

I never realised it was anything like that bad. Also the fact that the percentage of cousin marriages in Bradford is actually significantly higher than in Pakistan.

:o

Archived