Woodseats the nightmare continues

One of the other problems is the acutal puffin crossings on this stretch dont work as they should you see people press button and walk away or cross the signal still goes to red even though there isnt any one at the crossing . This as been raised but as ususal its there ok .

I have not got the wrong end of the stick iam repeating what was said in the meeting , the members of the public were aghast at the comment as it had been mentioned during the consultation - the little they did for the meadowhead/ abbey lane

Funny how you have ignored (like the council ) the unfinished work on this scheme not to menton the large amount of items that the public asked for before the scheme was put in but was told they are not needed . (Please see next post)

Examples of this are

Box Junciton at Abbey Lane - we dont need it - its now in

Signs / road Markings to increase awareness of the no entry at The Dale - Not needed the new layout will stop people doing it - extra marking put in

Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense to me. why were people "aghast" if it had been mentioned before?

As I have not been involved in the scheme and don't know it intimately, how can I have "ignored" what I don't know about?

People suggest many things in the consultation on large schemes. If the Council included everything which was suggested, the scheme would never be done, because you'd need five times the amount of budget available.

Sometimes, things don't work out quite the way you expected and you have to go back and do a bit more work. On large schemes of this nature you are never going to get everything right first time.

One of the other problems is the acutal puffin crossings on this stretch dont work as they should you see people press button and walk away or cross the signal still goes to red even though there isnt any one at the crossing . This as been raised but as ususal its there ok .

Are you an expert in how traffic signals work?

There is a "window" of time in the puffin crossing sequence during which it can cancel the demand if the pedestrian walk off. Once the sequence has passed that "window", the demand will be served, irrespective of whether the person is there or not.

Perhaps you think you can do better?

If so, in the spirit of "Big Society" perhaps you might like to trot down to Howden House and volunteer your services?

Perhaps that question should have been, could I do any worse,

Sheffield’s city centre traffic management systems are making bumpkins of us all and making the city almost impossible to drive through - especially for visitors

http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/columnists/hell_on_wheels_sheffield_city_centre_traffic_management_system_will_drive_you_mad_video_1_3168344?commentssort=1

Perhaps that question should have been, could I do any worse,

Sheffield’s city centre traffic management systems are making bumpkins of us all and making the city almost impossible to drive through - especially for visitors

http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/columnists/hell_on_wheels_sheffield_city_centre_traffic_management_system_will_drive_you_mad_video_1_3168344?commentssort=1

That's the whole idea. You don't need to drive through the city centre, you drive round it, there's a ring road for just that purpose.

The centre of the city needs to be a good place to get around on foot, do business, relax and shop. That isn't compatible with having through traffic thundering past.

I think you'll find that Sheffield is no more difficult to navigate than any other city centre of similar size. The traffic management systems are there to cope with the high levels of traffic and keep it moving. You'll see the same type of thing in any major city.

That's the whole idea. You don't need to drive through the city centre, you drive round it, there's a ring road for just that purpose.

The centre of the city needs to be a good place to get around on foot, do business, relax and shop. That isn't compatible with having through traffic thundering past.

I think you'll find that Sheffield is no more difficult to navigate than any other city centre of similar size. The traffic management systems are there to cope with the high levels of traffic and keep it moving. You'll see the same type of thing in any major city.

Ah so that's the reason the city centre is now on its knees and everyone seemingly seems to go to either Crystal Peaks, Meadowhall or Parkgate Shopping - considering they are easy to get to by car, actually have some decent shops and best of all, offer free parking.

Seems to me that Sheffield City Centre is going the same way as Rotherham Town Centre did 20 years back, with all the pedestrianised streets - now look at the state of it. More empty, boarded up shops than any other location in Yorkshire and the town centre is most certainly on its knees. Doesn't help with Parkgate been located at one end and Meadowhall at the other, but still...

Oh, the sign of the times it seems... :rant:

Ah so that's the reason the city centre is now on its knees and everyone seemingly seems to go to either Crystal Peaks, Meadowhall or Parkgate Shopping - considering they are easy to get to by car, actually have some decent shops and best of all, offer free parking.

Seems to me that Sheffield City Centre is going the same way as Rotherham Town Centre did 20 years back, with all the pedestrianised streets - now look at the state of it. More empty, boarded up shops than any other location in Yorkshire and the town centre is most certainly on its knees. Doesn't help with Parkgate been located at one end and Meadowhall at the other, but still...

Oh, the sign of the times it seems... :rant:

Have you noticed that you can't drive through the main shopping areas in Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall? So why do you think you should be able to do the same in the city centre?

Can you name me other major cities of similar size to Sheffield that don't have pedestrianised areas in the centre? Can you also name one that offers free parking?

Sheffield centre is easy to get to by car and there are many car parks conveniently located around the central area.

Are you an expert in how traffic signals work?

There is a "window" of time in the puffin crossing sequence during which it can cancel the demand if the pedestrian walk off. Once the sequence has passed that "window", the demand will be served, irrespective of whether the person is there or not.

I hwave sat in numberous meetinsg and listened to numerous officers of the council telling me and the public how great these are how they will not stop traffic when there is no one else how they will allow traffic to go when the crossing is clear of pedestrians . Time and time again you see pedestrians cross after pressing button then the lights change to red no one there .

I hwave sat in numberous meetinsg and listened to numerous officers of the council telling me and the public how great these are how they will not stop traffic when there is no one else how they will allow traffic to go when the crossing is clear of pedestrians . Time and time again you see pedestrians cross after pressing button then the lights change to red no one there .

As I have explained, they can do that, but if the sequence has advanced too far when the pedestrian walks off, the demand will still be served.

That's just the way they work, you may not like it, but that won't change anything. The Sheffield officers can't change the basic way the thing works, they can just adjust some of the operating parameters.

Archived