Woodseats the nightmare continues

As I have explained, they can do that, but if the sequence has advanced too far when the pedestrian walks off, the demand will still be served.

That's just the way they work, you may not like it, but that won't change anything. The Sheffield officers can't change the basic way the thing works, they can just adjust some of the operating parameters.

Why bother spending the money on puffin crossings then when the technology doesnt work most of the time .

The other good one is the traffic bollard that as been replaced time and time again after been hit by cars, why put it there in the first place we have managed without one for years so why did it need one now .

Why bother spending the money on puffin crossings then when the technology doesnt work most of the time .

The other good one is the traffic bollard that as been replaced time and time again after been hit by cars, why put it there in the first place we have managed without one for years so why did it need one now .

The technology does work, just not in the way you seem to expect it to. If you expect a piece of equipment to do something it can't, you need to adjust your expectations.

How would I know about the bollard? Why don't you find out who the officer responsible is and ask them? Bollards are usually put in to stop drivers doing something which is considered undesirable or unsafe.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute but quick question for PLanner1. Refering to the new Tesco store and the relief road, why no roundabouts and so many traffic lights? Surely when the new Tesco store opens the traffic round there is going to be a nightmare. Why can't they get Tesco to replace the traffic lights by the Wicker arches with a roundabout? There is enough space. They would not need to get rid of the pointless bus lane that causes a big tailback heading towards the Wicker arches on Savile Street if they did that (not that they are likely to)

Cheers

Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute but quick question for PLanner1. Refering to the new Tesco store and the relief road, why no roundabouts and so many traffic lights? Surely when the new Tesco store opens the traffic round there is going to be a nightmare. Why can't they get Tesco to replace the traffic lights by the Wicker arches with a roundabout? There is enough space. They would not need to get rid of the pointless bus lane that causes a big tailback heading towards the Wicker arches on Savile Street if they did that (not that they are likely to)

Cheers

If roundabouts had been the most efficient way of dealing with the traffic, and pedestrian movements they would have used them.

Roundabouts are ok when flows on most of the approaches are balanced, but in locations where flows are heavily tidal, they are not the best and often need signals installing to break up the predominant flows, so drivers on other approaches can get onto the roundabout.

Also, roundabouts are not at all good for pedestrians.

High capacity roundabouts also take up a lot of space ( you need a centre of decent diameter, several running lanes, plus approaches have to have deflections and generally need several lanes on each of the approaches. Land costs are high, so they are often not the ideal solution in city centres. Junctions are generally less space hungry and can accommodate pedestrians much better.

Sheffield centre is easy to get to by car and there are many car parks conveniently located around the central area.

Are you serious?? Maybe if you know the area well it's easy, but I work in the city centre and we regularly get visitors from out of town telling us how hard/confusing/illogical/congested they find it.

I agree people should use the ring road rather than driving through the centre, but they still need to be able to drive TO the centre.

Sheffield centre is easy to get to by car and there are many car parks conveniently located around the central area.

Yes, and at nearly a tenner for a day's parking they don't do good business. At the bottom of Carver St. there's a great big new car park and when I walked past it on a weekday lunchtime a week or so ago, there were about half a dozen cars in it. Surely it would make economic sense to reduce the charge a bit and fill the thing up?

I moved to Norton Lees 5 years ago and was quite worried when I heard about this traffic control scheme, at the time there was a lot me noise been made by local residents about journey times through Woodseats and I expected to be stuck in traffic for hours on end at all times of the day, the reality is the bus lane is designed to encourage people to leave their cars at home and get the bus into town, the problem for me is the endless pedestrian crossings in Woodseats, one would be more than acceptable but there are about 4 instead. The bus lane holds the traffic up for a few mins but with a road of that size I really don't know what people expect.
your comments are fine if you're going to town but life in Sheffield doesn't revolve around being the bad anti-bus person driving into town. Some of us have jobs that require driving through, into or out of Sheffield. Meadowhead and this nonsense of a red light is the A61, a trunk road between Leeds and Derby, not a back alley for the 75 to drive upon.
The technology does work, just not in the way you seem to expect it to. If you expect a piece of equipment to do something it can't, you need to adjust your expectations.
No, I re-engineer it.
Bollards are usually put in to stop drivers doing something which is considered undesirable or unsafe.
No, they're put in to prevent people doing something the Council's whim decided they shouldn't do; there is no consideration of safety.
One of the other problems is the acutal puffin crossings on this stretch dont work as they should you see people press button and walk away or cross the signal still goes to red even though there isnt any one at the crossing . This as been raised but as ususal its there ok .
The main problem simply is they don't change colour when the button is pressed. Pedestrians end up walking in traffic and about ten minutes later traffic is stopped for nothing.
If so, in the spirit of "Big Society" perhaps you might like to trot down to Howden House and volunteer your services?
The Council doesn't take advice, it renders it as gospel to its minions.

Yes, and at nearly a tenner for a day's parking they don't do good business. At the bottom of Carver St. there's a great big new car park and when I walked past it on a weekday lunchtime a week or so ago, there were about half a dozen cars in it. Surely it would make economic sense to reduce the charge a bit and fill the thing up?

Obviously that doesn't make sense to the operators.

your comments are fine if you're going to town but life in Sheffield doesn't revolve around being the bad anti-bus person driving into town. Some of us have jobs that require driving through, into or out of Sheffield. Meadowhead and this nonsense of a red light is the A61, a trunk road between Leeds and Derby

No, it's not a trunk road. Those are operated and maintained by the Highways Agency.

No, I re-engineer it.

You'd have to get Department of Transport approval before you could use it on a public highway.

there is no consideration of safety.
Safety is always the Council's primary concern.

The main problem simply is they don't change colour when the button is pressed. Pedestrians end up walking in traffic and about ten minutes later traffic is stopped for nothing.

You can't give pedestrians absolute priority without compromising traffic flows.

Have you noticed that you can't drive through the main shopping areas in Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall? So why do you think you should be able to do the same in the city centre?

but i can get there without fuss, stupid 1 way systems and park for free and a 2 min walk to the shops, i cant do that in the city centre

really? care to point me to 1?

Archived