Fitness First Hillsborough Closing

Just had my letter this morning saying that membership can be transferred to Millhouses if you go in before 30th June and arrange it. It also states that if you do not wish to transfer your membership then it will be automatically cancelled. The club will then be closed for 3 months while it undergoes a re-build. It does also look like classes will be available when it reopens which is good news. Also membership looks to be a hell of a lot cheaper as well.

There is no way you'd get me in a gym with no fitness instructors! whos gonna motivate, tell you whats right/wrong?

What a stupid thing to do...

I was a member of Fitness First from it opening in 1998 until 2007, it was fantastic at first but soon went downhill. IIRC the company hit financial difficulties around 2005 and you could tell, filthy changing rooms and toilets, equipment faulty. And as for the instructors, I used to see loads of inexperienced members doing things wrong and no intructors would ever inform them, they just wanted the £20 (or whatever it costs) personal trainer fee.

Left to join HLC (SIV) and although not perfect, yes it does get busy, it's a much better set up in my opinion.

For me the problem in the S6/North Sheffield area is that there are not enough gym/leisure centres to cater for demand, If there was a Virgin Gym in or around this area I wouldn't hesitate in joining, even if it meant paying a lot more than the current £26 a month i give SIV.

PS.....If you can't motivate yourself, then your in trouble :help:

I heard that there are still going to be some classes when it re-opens as Klick. I'm a freelance instructor there. SIV at Hillsborough are meant to have a good class timetable but classes are hard to get on as they are popular and need to be booked.

Fitness First, Millhouses is a good gym and classes are good there but I guess it's a treck for some. I'm starting some new Zumba classes. £4 per person, per session.

They are at the following venues:

Walkley Community Centre: Monday 10am - 11am

7A Fir Street

Sheffield, South Yorkshire S6 3TG

Wadlsey Parish Church Hall: Mondays 6.30pm to 7.30pm (Starts 13th June 11)

Worrall Rd

Sheffield S6 4BB

Ecclesfield Neighbourhood Support Centre:Thurs 6.30pm-7.30 (Starts 23rd june 11)

712 Wordsworth Avenue

Sheffield

S5 9JN

Everyone over the age of 16 welcome

Call or e mail me on 07852979546 or zumbamick@gmx.com for more details.

Cheers

According to the letter I received yesterday unless you actually go in to FF to transfer to Millhouses by the end of this month your membership will automatically be cancelled. I too wont be going there its too far. I have also cancelled my direct debit just in case. If you paid your original payment via card I would also keep an eye on that too as I have heard that they will try to charge your card for any failed Direct Debits. Not sure if this will however apply in this current situation as they are actually closing it down. Worth thinking about though.....

As I say the letter I got does state - "If you do not wish to transfer your membership then your membership will automatically be cancelled". Hope that helps!

There is no way you'd get me in a gym with no fitness instructors! whos gonna motivate, tell you whats right/wrong?

What a stupid thing to do...

I don't think they're really bothered about health and safety and the well-being of their members, just profit. I know they claim to be monitored 24 hours a day with direct links to the emergency services but I'd pray you didn't have a heart-attack on the treadmill in the early hours of the morning because I don't think anyone's going to be around to assist you.

A simple 5 minute programme which is usually a freebie with any regular gym is also an added extra with all of the 24 hour gyms I've seen. How on earth are people who have never been to a gym in their life expected to know what they're doing?

As for SIV, only on a Monday have I ever seen it to be annoyingly full (all the once a weekers). Every other time I've had no issue getting on whatever I want and have only ever had to wait 5 minutes for a bench.

Archived