Realistically, Will Scotland get its independence?

There seems to be no desire from the general Scottish population to leave the union. If the SNP have an absolute majority in their parliament then if they make a good job of running the country over the next 4 or 5 years then that might change but there probably wont be a big enough shift.

The SNP may be more successful in gaining additional powers for the Scottish Parliament, which I think will force a resolution of the West Lothian question. Given that the coalition is almost non-existent in Scotland then they might be keen to resolve it too as it would weaken Labour.

The resolution is quite easy and basically free to implement and that is the MP's from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland cannot vote on matters which have been devolved to their respective Assemblies/Parliaments.

Maybe we are missing something here and that is that the SNP provided a sane alternative to the big three parties and so the people of Scotland had else someone to vote for, whereas the alternative english parties all exhibit various degrees of fruit loopery.

There seems to be no desire from the general Scottish population to leave the union. If the SNP have an absolute majority in their parliament then if they make a good job of running the country over the next 4 or 5 years then that might change but there probably wont be a big enough shift.

The SNP may be more successful in gaining additional powers for the Scottish Parliament, which I think will force a resolution of the West Lothian question. Given that the coalition is almost non-existent in Scotland then they might be keen to resolve it too as it would weaken Labour.

The resolution is quite easy and basically free to implement and that is the MP's from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland cannot vote on matters which have been devolved to their respective Assemblies/Parliaments.

I don't think most people in Scotland would vote for independence, as they've got things pretty much to their liking at the moment. If we do separate, then it would be extremely unlikely that England would have a Labour Government any time again soon, as many of their MPs in the UK parliament are from North of the Border.

As a Scot living in England, I wasn't wholly in favour of the Scottish parliament for various reasons. Its another expense for starters. However, if rules were changed as you say so that only English MPs voted on the issues that only affect England (similar to what happens in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) it would be much fairer and more acceptable to the majority of people in England.

And I agree about your opinion of the SNP. They seem to have gauged public opinion pretty well.

you've got to hand it to Salmond. He's played a good game. In the past few years, he's the only one of the UK's political leaders who can look back and think that it couldn't possibly have gone much better for him.

Even with the great success of the SNP, Will the break up of the union actually happen? After all, the Conservative and Unionist Party are practically non existent north of the border.

I'm not saying that its a good or bad thing if it happens, personally I dont have a strong opinion either way, Im just wondering how realistic it is and if its likely to happen.

Also, what would it mean for England in finacial terms? would England be better or worse off?

They think that they will get North Sea oil revenue, but they are wrong.

Give them independance and stopping giving them money from England. They can join up with the French again, another load of rubbish.:rant: Then there is the Welsh and the others.

Even with the great success of the SNP, Will the break up of the union actually happen? After all, the Conservative and Unionist Party are practically non existent north of the border.

I'm not saying that its a good or bad thing if it happens, personally I dont have a strong opinion either way, Im just wondering how realistic it is and if its likely to happen.

Also, what would it mean for England in finacial terms? would England be better or worse off?

I hope it happens

England will be better off

The EU will buy Scotland as its bought Ireland.

Archived