The Thursday Night BIG Quiz at The Sherwood

Jamesmck

The Sherwood on Birley Moor Road is a really nice venue. In the last year it has had a full refurbishment and is now second to none. Serving food until around 9pm and serving drinks till long after.

On a Thursday evening from 9PM The Sherwood is packed with cheap and highly enjoyable entertainment. A live DJ starting at 9 and playing until half past when The Thursday Night BIG Quiz begins. The quiz is full of a mixture of questions from music to geography and celebrities to food so there is something for everyone. The DJ is incredibly helpful and friendly and helps wherever he can. The quiz is on television screens all around the pub and coming through the speaks so no one is without. The BIG quiz runs until around 20 past 10 when the answers are given and the first winner of the evening is found. The prize for the BIG quiz is a drink prize which I believe is out of a selection. The quiz only costs 50p and is well worth it.

After the quiz the DJ has started a new game which I don't believe is currently played anywhere else in Sheffield. Its called Rock n Roll Bingo. He plays a mix of music and when you heard a song if you've got it on your sheet you cross it off the game keeps going until a winner is found. It becomes very close and atmosphere within the pub becomes electric. Once again it only cost 50p to play but the prize is worth over £25 every week. The prize is always a mystery but an example of one week is, a crate of larger, two DVDs, a bottle of bubbly, an England flag and a packet of crisps. Once again well worth the money and very enjoyable.

After Rock n Roll Bingo at around 10:45 a new game called Blackball begins. Blackball is a lot like open the safe but it is played with red snooker balls and a single black snooker ball. All the money from the quiz and Blackball tickets goes into a pot, if your ticket is pulled out of a bag its your turn to try and find the Blackball. If you pull a red ball out then another ticket is pulled out of the bag. There are three attempts and then the money rolls over to the next week. The prize money often reaches £200. And you guessed it, its only 50p to play.

After Blackball until the end of the night is the Jukebox where the DJ plays any request from people within the pub, if he's got it he says he'll play it. Music on a Thursday rangers from classic 60s such as the Beatles to the 70s 80s right through to the current top40.

The Sherwood is very enjoyable on a Thursday night and I highly recommend it to anyone young or old to call in for a few drinks and to have a good time. It is a very friendly pub, warm and welcoming with fantastic entertainment. I hope some other people enjoy a night in The Sherwood. If you didnt know there was a quiz there and you call in let me know what you thought of it. Hope you enjoy. :)

Archived