Who remembers the Corporation street baths

pedro1

Once upon a time there was a Rock Inn just above the Blue Ball, on Swinton Street, but I think it was knocked down after being damaged in the blitz.

The only other Rock was the Rock House on the corner of Rock and Nottingham Streets.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean the little Rock on Rock street?

Am a bit foggy on this one. If you stood in the doorway of the Brown Cow and looked across the road, there were two roads going up to Pitsmoor and one going across. I had always thought the Rock pub was there on one of those three roads. Obviously my memory is not that good?

Am a bit foggy on this one. If you stood in the doorway of the Brown Cow and looked across the road, there were two roads going up to Pitsmoor and one going across. I had always thought the Rock pub was there on one of those three roads. Obviously my memory is not that good?

I think the road on the left was Pitsmoor Rd. & the one on the right could have been Chatham St.The one that ended where they met was Rock St.Can you remember the steel railway bridge that ran from near the top of Chatham St. to the bottom of Fitzalan St.?

Oh yes, I think it's proper name was 'The Marshall Tavern'. When you entered the place you went down a couple of steep steps into a short passage and you got served to the right. I'm not sure but there must've been a small room at the back somewhere. It was always just a call for me, fast half, then the 'Blue Ball at the bottom of Pitsmoor Road, quick pint, and so on and so forth. What I would like to know is how 'The Marshall Tavern' got the name 'Bacon Box'.

You got the layout of the streets right, Pitsmoor to the left, Chatham to the right. Just up the hill was a short street called Swinton which connected the two. All the housing got blitzed, so for years it was just covered in ashes, a bomb site in other words.

Archived