Who remembers the Corporation street baths

pedro1

If I ever go into that 'Riverside', I'll have what you had.

I think jenni means the pub that used to be the Brown Cow - they're using the remains of the baths as a sunken garden and refuge for nicotine addicts.

You wouldn't recognise the area now Texas, eveything is submerged under the tarmac and concrete of the new Inner Relief Road.

I have an old photo of the baths....about 1906 I think, if you would like a copy PM me your email address and I'll forward it. Can't put it up on photobucket for copyright reasons.

Oh yes, I think it's proper name was 'The Marshall Tavern'. When you entered the place you went down a couple of steep steps into a short passage and you got served to the right. I'm not sure but there must've been a small room at the back somewhere. It was always just a call for me, fast half, then the 'Blue Ball at the bottom of Pitsmoor Road, quick pint, and so on and so forth. What I would like to know is how 'The Marshall Tavern' got the name 'Bacon Box'.

You got the layout of the streets right, Pitsmoor to the left, Chatham to the right. Just up the hill was a short street called Swinton which connected the two. All the housing got blitzed, so for years it was just covered in ashes, a bomb site in other words.

I don't know what years you used to be on the loose around there, but my Dad had the Manchester Hotel 1954ish to 1960ish. We used to have a lot of lads in from the Bridgehouses railway depot at dinner time. I remember the three wheelers they used to drive, Scammells I think. Also the lasses from Aizlewoods who were a smashing bunch. Thanks for for all your information and to everyone else who has been on this site.

Can you remember some of the characters who went in the DRAM SHOP i.e. Lofty(with the very thick specks who lived in the doss house at Firvale) Chatty Jack the rag man.Mick Ashton,Bil Barnet,Johnny Nelson,Terry dempsey just to name a few.

Just joshing jennyren. Greybeard, dont tell me all that lovely stonework, that used to be the railway goods yard, has gone.

Everything's gone - you can see the new road plan on page 2 of this pdf file...

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/Easysite/admin/AssetManager_ServeAsset.asp?crypt=%C2%89%C2%AD%C2%A8%C2%95%C2%91%C2%93%C2%BE%C2%BA%C2%B5%C2%95%C2%A2%C2%BD%C3%80%C2%B0%C3%89%C3%93%C2%82%C2%A2%C3%85%C2%B7%C2%90%C2%B9%C2%9E%C2%A1%C2%81%C2%83p%C2%88eP%C2%B0%C2%BA%C2%9D%C2%A7zn%7D%C2%97m%C2%8FL%C3%86%C2%A3%C2%9B%C2%87y%C2%9A%C2%BB%C2%96%C2%A1%C2%88%7F%C3%90%C2%B2%C3%8C%C2%AB%C2%85%C3%87%C2%AE%C2%B9%C2%BC%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2%C2

The goods station was removed and replaced with a dual carriage-way Junction 9 to Junction 10.

Archived