Stream/River names

IanG

While we're on the subject - the Loxley and Rivelin meet at Malin Bridge, but what's the river called as it flows through Hillsborough corner and onwards?

I've looked on maps but it seems ambiguous.

It's called Loxley weir at Hillsborough corner.

The River Sheaf is formed by the union of the Old Hay Brook and Totley Brook, just below Totley Rise.
Does the one IanG is asking about have a name, do you know?

There's a little stream culverted under my garden and down the middle of my road, reappearing halfway down Woodseats Road at the back of the houses. The stream from Graves Park is culverted under Barber's Fields.

Woodseats is notorious for streams suddenly appearing though.

Does the one IanG is asking about have a name, do you know?
Unfortunately I don't, as I wrote in my post #3. It might have a name, and perhaps a forummer can enlighten us, but there seem to be quite a few little streams in the Sheffield area that don't have names. At least, they might have names but they don't appear on large-scale maps. Another one is the stream that runs past the old King Ted's playing fields at Whiteley Woods, which joins the River Porter just below Wire Mill Dam.

As you say, rubydazzler, "Woodseats is notorious for streams suddenly appearing" and I think many of these streams have their origins in springs - this would seem to be the case with the Abbey Brook, which appears in Greenhill. Another stream arises in a spring on Wadsley Common and flows down the hill into the River Loxley. Perhaps the ponds in Graves Park cover the origin of this stream, that is, a spring that emerges here.

I suspect that many areas in Sheffield have springs. My grandparents house in Alexandra Road had one in the cellar, I presume it passed under the houses and down to the River Sheaf at Havelock Bridge.
This might perhaps be a branch of the Meers Brook, which rises in Gleadless and, after being culverted, flows into the Sheaf near Saxon Road. The Crosspool area also has a number of springs, which can cause problems with building work etc.

My wife's a Woodseats girl, born and bred, as a girl she played on barbers field before it was leveled and the estate was built, she remembers the river as it was then, but not a name for it....

But you've made me curious now..

Strange how some of these spring appear at the top of hills, you'd expect them to appear at least half way down the hill.

That stream appears firstly in Graves park, so where does the one that runs down the other side through cat lane woods start ..

And doesn't that one run past Rose cottage then on to become Meersbrook .?

Where Sheffield's 'big 5' (Don, Loxley, Rivelin, Porter and Sheaf) are concerned with regards names after convergence, here's a guide:

Where any two converge, then the one with the least letters in its name continues.

Good, innit.:)

Where Sheffield's 'big 5' (Don, Loxley, Rivelin, Porter and Sheaf) are concerned with regards names after convergence, here's a guide:

Where any two converge, then the one with the least letters in its name continues.

Good, innit.:)

If that's a fact I'm surprised most river aren't called "THE" ......:hihi:

Cheers for the replies guys, I think the river through graves park/barbers fields etc is called the 'cold brook'

still no idea what feeds the lakes in graves park or where the abbey brook starts.

• 1 year later...
Cheers for the replies guys, I think the river through graves park/barbers fields etc is called the 'cold brook'

still no idea what feeds the lakes in graves park or where the abbey brook starts.

The stream is indeed called Cold Brook as it runs through the park. It starts as a spring across bunting nook and for many years was virtually dry. It turned out someone who didn't want it running through their garden diverted it into a drain, but this is apparently rectified and flow has returned, bringing much needed water to the lakes. After exiting the lakes the stream cascades down through the woods past the old packhorse bridge. The stream exits the park by the Cobnar Road entrance to the park and runs in culvets but can be seen behind the Big Tree pub. It joins the Sheaf in the valley below.

The other stream in Graves park starts as a spring by Norton Hall. It is culveted to the side of the serpentine walk and leaves the park in 2 pipes that join under Norton Park Avenue. The pipes then take the water down to Batemoor where it effectively becomes the River Drone.

Archived