Dress shopping grrrrrr

It's so tough isn't it! I had a picture in my head of what I wanted, and it just didn't exist in the shops.

I thought all the dresses were just the same really, all a big taffeta skirt, bodice style strapless top, just different combinations of diamantes, puffy layers and stuff. Loads of "nice" dresses but we don't just want nice, do we girls? I thought they were all very so-so and samey. The only ones that weren't that style were too plain and frumpy.

I was looking for something classy with lace, a vintagey look. I didn't want a big wide skirt cos I'm quite petite.

Eventually the dress I got was not the one I was looking for at all, but its so much better! Love It! :)

Fitting tomorrow nervous!

I totally hate the appointment thing!!

I don't understand it at all, I'm perfectly capable of picking the dresses I like all by myself and getting into them!!

I can't be dealing with someone picking out what 'they' think I will look best in, surprisingly I can do that myself too!!

I don't feel important when I've made an appointment, I feel patronised and stupid. I also don't particularly like getting undressed in front of people and I usually take my mum with me to help me........so why can't I be left alone until I'm ready to ask for some help?

And my point with the final shop that visited was that there was NOBODY in the place, and there wasn't going to be for over an hour, so why was I not important enough to spend some time with??

It just feels to me like on big sales push .....

It's so tough isn't it! I had a picture in my head of what I wanted, and it just didn't exist in the shops.

I thought all the dresses were just the same really, all a big taffeta skirt, bodice style strapless top, just different combinations of diamantes, puffy layers and stuff. Loads of "nice" dresses but we don't just want nice, do we girls? I thought they were all very so-so and samey. The only ones that weren't that style were too plain and frumpy.

I was looking for something classy with lace, a vintagey look. I didn't want a big wide skirt cos I'm quite petite.

Eventually the dress I got was not the one I was looking for at all, but its so much better! Love It! :)

Fitting tomorrow nervous!

Aw glad you're sorted, I'm sure you'll look amazing :)

You're right about the styles, they're all pretty much the same aren't they.

I just want to find something that holds me in everywhere lol

x

Maybe there is a business idea in there Dizzybird77, a bridal wear shop that you don't have to have an appointment for and don't need an assistant to show you the dresses?

I guess they do it to try to make you feel special, as your there only one there if you book an appointment.

I have to admit I also found the getting undressed with a shop assistant there a bit weird! Even though I suppose it's only like wearing a bikini on a beach, I didn't really like it.

I can't believe you had a problem at Beretex bride. I am in Shock. We had the same problem with other shops being rude, saying we needed an appointment, not wanting to help etc. But as soon as we went to Beretex bride it was totally different. The lass there was lovely, very helpful let me try as many dresses on as I wanted. Ive ended up ordering mine from them. Yes it was a little over my budget but is so worth it. Even went back to make sure I had picked the right one though and they was stil lhelpful. My wedding is in November so I hope they wasnt refering to me or there will be trouble!!! Who served you by any chance? Because apparently the boss or who ever is now back and is a right moody one!! Well if she tries it with me ill want my money back!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Its well worth a visit they had hundreds on the two occasions I went and a whole range of sizes, the only reason I didn’t get my dress on the first visit was my bridesmaid who was with me took ill and she was taken away in an ambulance but the staff were brilliant and that’s the reason I went back, the second time I got the dress of my dreams with no pushy sales people.

Buying a wedding dress from here is like shopping at Debenhams you pick three dresses you like, try them on, if you don’t like any you pick another three dresses and try them on, there is no pressure to buy, if you find the dress you want you pay and take it away on the day what a novel idea :D

If you can be bothered to go to Liverpool have a look at Copplestone Bridal, I got my BNWT Amanda Wyatt from there for £299, very similar dress in Choola well over a grand!

Me and my sister went one Saturday morning, only took just over a an hour to get there and we had a ball, we were shown the floor where the dresses were and were left to our own devices to try on whatever and as many as we wanted - notice the we - although my sister got married on 2007 she also tried on loads of dresses just because she wanted to and because she could, we had a brilliant day one that will stay with me forever as it was so much fun!!!

Rachel

I totally hate the appointment thing!!

I don't understand it at all, I'm perfectly capable of picking the dresses I like all by myself and getting into them!!

I can't be dealing with someone picking out what 'they' think I will look best in, surprisingly I can do that myself too!!

I don't feel important when I've made an appointment, I feel patronised and stupid. I also don't particularly like getting undressed in front of people and I usually take my mum with me to help me........so why can't I be left alone until I'm ready to ask for some help?

And my point with the final shop that visited was that there was NOBODY in the place, and there wasn't going to be for over an hour, so why was I not important enough to spend some time with??

It just feels to me like on big sales push .....

Shopping when the assistant knows their stock and knows how to serve a customer making them feel relaxed and comfortable is a worthwhile experience. Look at what Gok does choosing better shaped clothes for people which flatter them to the point of them liking their bodies better. Wedding dress shopping is an emotive event, which is best done with somebody who really knows what they're doing :)

the main reason they want to help you try the dresses on is that people with grubby mitts rummaging through the racks of white dresses leaves them manky and snagged. It's difficult getting into something that flouncy on your own without putting your foot through something and causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage ;)

PS - I went all the way to Milton Keynes to get my dress made, having found the perfect dress maker (for me) at the wedding fayre at the NEC

If you're on a budget, whatever you do, dont venture down eccy rd - i accidentally looked at a dress the was £3k!! (That was enough to make me leave the shop!) lol

I got my dress from La Bella brides, they're based in chapeltown on an industrial estate and they are ever so helpful and they do the chaps outfits too (to hire or buy) and whilst you're trying on you get a glass of champers and the boys get a beer!

I think I made an appointment to see them but they are reasonably priced and have all sorts of dresses in different sizes (mine had to be an 18)

Hope this helps x

Archived