Dress shopping grrrrrr

I can understand their need to control who touches the dresses etc as they are of course expensive, and there is definitely an art to getting into them without damage etc. However, to be talked to snottily and treat like a 2nd class citizen is going a bit far.

I agree that La Bella Bridges are good. My sis went there for a dress trying session, we didn't get a glass of anything though LOL

Do you want a white wedding dress, when I got married I went to debenhams and got a beautiful ball gown with matching organza wrap in a beautiful gold/bronze shade for just over £100 and everyone said what a beautiful dress it was and where had I got it from. I just thought it may be another option for you, also BHS do a lovely range of bridal wear too it may just be worth opening your options a bit and looking in places you wouldn't normally.

Good luck on you wedding day, hope you have a long and happy life together.

... However, to be talked to snottily and treat like a 2nd class citizen is going a bit far.
I agree completely - I'd have left the shop, and if it were a chain, I'd have made complaint to head office

Thanks for all you replies, I have finally found my dress!! In a lovely shop with lovely staff who were so helpful.

It's my dream dress and it was £400 cheaper than everywhere else too!!

Only slight issue is that I had to go all the way to North Allerton to get it :)

Congrats Dizzybird, that's half the battle when you find your dress, coz if you don't feel right in that, then nothing will seem to go right.

Thanks Angilaruk :D

I'm so excited now, it all seems real at last!! x

i am not an average size bride either but i did ring round and nip into each shop to as if were free or to make an appointment. blushes were outstanding when i got there, so much so that i was quite emotional at their understanding and patience with me after such horrid experiences at most other shops in sheffield. i was willing to spend up to a thousand pounds or maybe just over in other shops but did not get the help or even acknowledgement in other shops due to my then size (i have now shrunk a little). your best bet is to ring any shop you plan to go to to see if you need an appointment but also bear in mind it is getting to the most popular season for weddings so some of the better and more popular shops will be busy :o)

Glad you got sorted in the end. Should be a happy event shopping for your wedding dress, not a hassle.

Have things changed in the world of wedding dresses? I never had an appointment when shopping for mine, just appointments after i'd found the one I wanted for fittings etc. It was only six years ago (tomorrow!) when we got married so it's not as if it was ages since. It was from Francescas, I picked one from end of season stock so got it at a bargain price of £250 too!

They must have gone all snooty in modern times!

Congrats on the wedding by the way.

• 3 months later...
I found it difficult dress shopping but for a different reason. Most brides want a "wow" dress, perhaps a princess style dress, big, ruffles, diamantés and that's fine if that's your style but it's not what I wanted. I was made to feel odd for wanting something simpler.

I agree about the dress sizing, isn't the average size in the UK a size 16? You would have thought that there would be at least some size 16s knocking about in the shops.

this is my problem, does everyone want a huge pouffy dress you cant go to the toilet in with no straps:gag:

Maybe I will get married in a suit with a top hat-that would freak him out:hihi:

Archived