Destructions with flat pack furniture. Do you read them?

I had a large wardrobe delivered yesterday and going against my better judgement (I'm a joiner with 16 years experience), i decided to follow the destructions that came with it.

I duly unpacked the box's and checked everything was there. I then re-assembled the destructions as they weren't in any sort of order. 30 minutes in i was ready to start assembling.

First task. Stick the drawer runners on. I followed the diagram and did this.

Second task. Put the door backplates on. They were of a make i haven't used before but still no alarm bells ringing. Followed the diagram.

Over the next 2-3 hours i fixed this to that and A-d using x4 G fixings while remembering to attach thingie to whatsit....

Terrific! 3 hours down and i can stand the thing up (almost broke my back. This is a very big wardrobe). The only thing left to do is build the drawers and hang the doors.

Problem #1... The left and right hand sides of the drawers are wrong. No problem. After a couple of minutes i suss it out and declare this a misprint and move on.

Problem #2 ... Upon fitting the drawers i soon realize the sliders can only go on one way and the destructions had told me the wrong way. Take all 8 sliders off and start again.

Problem #3... Slide the door hinges on to the previously fittet backplates. Ohh look... They're all the WRONG BLOODY WAY!!!... Take em all off and start again.

My advice... Don't follow destructions. If you feel you need to follow destructions then start at page 20 and work your way backwards. It'll save you an hour.

Yes I sort out all the pieces to make sure everything is present and correct then follow the destructions. Never had any problems at all

Me too! I am a mere woman, and managed to build 2 wardrobes, with shelves, a dressing table, and 2 chest of drawers! - and, believe it or not, they were from the MFI - (years ago) - no bits missing, everything present and correct, and excellent value for money!

Archived