Panorama Undercover Care: The abuse exposed

I think that these scum on the programe were well out of order, but what about the governing bodies around the country that supposedly oversee all this with blinkinkers on. The programe should have staff planted in every governing body around the country that handles all the staffing for these so called CARERS. There should be more of this undercover work done, be it child care, disibility care and the elderly care because I'm sure that this type of thing will be rife all around the country and its got to stop.

The government should be doing these undercover programes or at least supporting the programes with funding to cater for country wide undercover work in all sectors of care work, and plant staff in the governing bodies that oversee all this care work and check on them as well.

The country has a lot of great people working in the care field, and I class myself lucky to have worked with quite a few of them around the country. The scum from this programe and possibly many more have blacken the care work for future carers, but I'm sure the good carers will shine through and the bad ones will be hopefully kept out of care work for the rest of there life.

ALAN

Prior to the Panorama programme the regulatory body was already notified about homes run by Castlebeck.

I know that the people directly responsible in this instance have either been removed from their jobs or are being investigated by the police - but what about those further up the food chain?

It's only a week or since Sharon Shoesmith (Cheif Exec. of Haringey Social Services) was pilloried in the press for amongst other things, saying she "doesn't do blame". If she should be made accountable for for the actions of those beneath her, why shouldn't the M.D. of Castlebeck & the Care Standards Commission.

It shouldn't be about witch hunts but there should be accountability. These top bosses often get huge salaries - let them earn their money

I dont understand why the reporter just watched? I know he was trying to get a real sense of what it was like but how can you stand there and watch it and do nothing. Some of those people could have been damaged irreparably whilst he was there.

I dont understand why the reporter just watched? I know he was trying to get a real sense of what it was like but how can you stand there and watch it and do nothing. Some of those people could have been damaged irreparably whilst he was there.

That's a bit like saying he is to blame, or partially. Without that evidence the care home would still be operating and the prisoners still being tortured.

Because without his evidence, and the evidence of his camera, nothing might have been done about it.

Reading through this thread and having just watched the program I just can't understand why so many posts here are about spending more money on these hospitals. You can't buy a caring attitude no matter how much money you spend and to think that throwing more money at it is a solution is, to my mind, the height of irresponsibility. It simply allows you an easier conscience and you can go back to not worrying about it anymore.

Money and private business makes a commodity out of a living human being- when they're lives are owned in a locked private institution like this they become little more than slaves in the eyes of the workers and that's the attitude that's led to this abuse occurring. Master- slave relationships such as this always end in the subjugation through abuse of the victims. Experiments, such as that at Stanford Prison, from as early as the 1970's showed us that, but it seems we have learnt nothing.

Social attitudes need to change, new ways need to be sought and NOBODY should be allowed near a vulnerable person again without extremely high levels of regulation, checks and training that teaches them how to continuously perceive people with learning disabilities as equal human beings. It doesn't have to be difficult, but to think it can be done simply by providing more money is disingenuous- what we need is a whole lot more caring going on in our communities. We all need to become Terry Bryan.

Reading through this thread and having just watched the program I just can't understand why so many posts here are about spending more money on these hospitals. You can't buy a caring attitude no matter how much money you spend and to think that throwing more money at it is a solution is, to my mind, the height of irresponsibility. It simply allows you an easier conscience and you can go back to not worrying about it anymore.

Money and private business makes a commodity out of a living human being- when they're lives are owned in a locked private institution like this they become little more than slaves in the eyes of the workers and that's the attitude that's led to this abuse occurring. Master- slave relationships such as this always end in the subjugation through abuse of the victims. Experiments, such as that at Stanford Prison, from as early as the 1970's showed us that, but it seems we have learnt nothing.

Social attitudes need to change, new ways need to be sought and NOBODY should be allowed near a vulnerable person again without extremely high levels of regulation, checks and training that teaches them how to continuously perceive people with learning disabilities as equal human beings. It doesn't have to be difficult, but to think it can be done simply by providing more money is disingenuous- what we need is a whole lot more caring going on in our communities. We all need to become Terry Bryan.

Money is seen as the answer to everything. Spot on post Cavegirl.

Money is seen as the answer to everything. Spot on post Cavegirl.

zzz, let's face it, it is, unless you suggest Tracy and Karen look after them on the minimum wage? I'm sure they'll be well motivated. Millie Tant's final paragraph will cost a fortune for a start.

Ive recently started working in a care home, not as a carer though, but obviously i see it all. Ive been training these last few weeks in various homes and can honestly say my particular chain of homes is lovely, i would happily put a relative of mine in one of them, especially one of them which is in rotherham, that in particular was lovely and the residents thrive there.

Bullying, neglect, abuse etc... Is definately not isolated and im sure more and more cases will now come to the media just like it did with those child abuse cases from years ago in childrens homes BUT its importnant to remember there ARE

good care homes and carers out there :)

Archived