Panorama Undercover Care: The abuse exposed

As has been explained, the whistleblower made many attempts at reporting the abuse and was ignored. The event he filmed didn't just come out of the Blue, it was a catalogue of past experiences he was frustrated with. He could have resigned, he could have got involved there and then. All that would do is postpone the abuse for a very short time. His action has now blown the whole thing out of the water. Because of his actions those abused are safe, for now. For the betterment of something, sometimes you just have to lay away your anger, frustration and sentimentality.

Getting back to the wider issue that cavegirl and Arguendo have made I'm of the opinion that carers shouldn't have to expect a reasonable income or recognition, those should be a natural result of the way our communities respond and acknowledge our carers. They shouldn't have to look to us, we should certainly look to them. You can't fix a problem with money if you don't accept or at worse ignore the issue of not caring for the caring industry. It has to start at the bottom and work up, not just a short term pretty respray which will no doubt happen.

yes but he had it on camera from the first incident so its not the same as the whistleblower. As soon as a clip went on the bbc news they would have been shamed into action so he could easily have stepped in rather than stand by doing nothing.

yes but he had it on camera from the first incident so its not the same as the whistleblower. As soon as a clip went on the bbc news they would have been shamed into action so he could easily have stepped in rather than stand by doing nothing.

With only one clip, the care home could have wormed out of it claiming that it was an isolated incident.

Don't forget these poor people have probably been suffering at the hands of these ba**ar*s for months/years.

The undercover guy did good.

This was our thoughts too, Yes he was filming undercover, but wasn't he there as a worker, in which surely, (well I and many others would) help or tell them to stop, that wouldn't have blown his cover.

No it isn't in any way! It's like watching someone being beaten up and doing nothing about it but then going to be a witness at court.How can you do nothing while something is happening in front of you and you can stop it?

It is a case of giving up on the one for the good of the many, the thing is these people could be mentally scarred for life because he took no action. Those people were really scared and confused and he did nothing at all to help them.

Remember that we only saw the cut footage of 5 weeks llama.

I've watched it with my housemate today, and I noticed in the later clips that Simone was looking at the reporter on several occasions when she was in trouble. I think, that this perhaps meant that cut footage or off-camera, he actually did help out, or intervene, and that is why she was looking for him. But it's still neither here nor there, his 'helping' was exposing this behaviour.

One incident would have solved the whole thing then you think?

It has taken all that 5 week footage just to arrest 4 people. If he had filmed one incident, then what do you think would have happened based on the ratio that I have posted?

(edit, as posted here by Roots)

With only one clip, the care home could have wormed out of it claiming that it was an isolated incident.

Don't forget these poor people have probably been suffering at the hands of these ba**ar*s for months/years.

The undercover guy did good.

I agree with this.

This was our thoughts too, Yes he was filming undercover, but wasn't he there as a worker, in which surely, (well I and many others would) help or tell them to stop, that wouldn't have blown his cover.

In some respect I agree, as a qualified nurse with many years experience, I would not be able to stand by at the first sign of abuse, there was another programme some years back, two newly qualified nurses went undercover as healthcare assistants in several hospitals in London, the footage was quite shocking (not as bad as the panorama one though, but still unacceptable). Action was taken against the hospitals; sometime later both the nurses had to face the NMC, both were disciplined for not taking immediate action & filming patients without permission was also considered.

I believe the penalties they got far exceeded what they had done, yes I agree in principle staff have to intervene, but sometimes taking video or gathering likeminded staff to support you is the only option. There was a belief at the time the two nurses were also punished for embarrassing the hospitals, trust & government.

And yes there are some good homes out there, yes do your research, but I reiterate what I've said, as far as I'm concerned having dealt with many there are more which are bad, each home has to be run on a profit, & I'm sorry to many managers in these home profit comes before quality. Sometimes what appears on the surface to be a good home, I can guarantee you with a little knowledge of where to dig, it doesn’t take long to find issues in many homes.

I once went to a home in Sheffield, a brilliant home by all accounts. Staff would be seen interacting with patients, patients appeared to be happy, on examining further, I found patients being overdosed on medications, they were being given 3 times the recommended dosage of codeine per day, being fed out of date food (because it was cheaper), staff would openly argue with residents, yet say the patient was confused & confrontational, night staff would ignore residents call bells, usually because the staff were asleep. On one check I became aware of all staff sleeping at night, I did something no other person had done, I got up at 02:00 & made a spot check, caught each & everyone of the staff asleep, this is what the manager should have being doing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pwt6/Panorama_Undercover_Care_The_Abuse_Exposed/

Quote:

Panorama had been approcached by a whistleblower who had worked their, Winterbourne View private hospital in Bristol,. Alleging terrible malpractice at the £3,500-a-week hospital for adults with learning disabilities and autism. It is the modern equivalent of Britain’s Victorian asylums.

Having watched the programme it is clear this place is run buy a group of bullies & thugs. The word care does any apply to these mindless thugs. What makes this more appalling is that Terry Bryan the former nurse their (whistlenblower) had written twice to the management their about the appalling assaults he had witnessed & they took no action.

I sincerely hope the patients are now in a safe environment & getting the care & assistance they deserve.

Not sure if a thread has already been done. I have searched & I can't find one.

Caring jobs are so under paid that they unfortunately sometimes attract these type of people. How can someone in care, be cared for by someone with no professional qualification. I think it's disgusting, that any human being would treat another like this.

But the English government have created this problems, many care homes are charities and get little, if any government funding. Because the government can't make money out of these people they don't care about them.

But they will happily I've away millions of pounds so big wig bankers, politicians don't lose their bonus.

Under the Tories' proposals for the NHS, Castlebeck would count as 'any willing provider'. Welcome to the market.

On the other hand, when institutions were in government/corporation hands - i.e lunatic asylums>asylums>mental hospitals, where people like this were often placed... were things better? I don't think so, based on what I've seen. I think that as a whole thinks looked worse then.

As pointed out earlier, this place isn't indicative of modern care homes in general. I think it was Alien who pointed out that we shouldn't be shocked per se, as it's fairly obvious that practices like this do occur. The nature though of the humiliation perpetrated on these vulnerable adults in what appears to be 'a modern facility' perhaps made this strikingly shocking.

When I watched it, it first made me think 'what century are we living in?', then 'what makes the staff like this?', then finally, 'sack that regulator ******', who probably earns 10 times more than these carers, and isn't any better than them (he might defend this attack on him - I would say - and you could see it in his face... that he is a suit, who got caught with his pants down). That for me showed that money doesn't buy care - which goes back to what was posted earlier by myself and others.

Personally, I'd like to see the whistle-blower who probably quite rightly is worried about his future, replacing the regulator figure. I know who I'd rather have in that position.

Caring jobs are so under paid that they unfortunately sometimes attract these type of people. How can someone in care, be cared for by someone with no professional qualification. I think it's disgusting, that any human being would treat another like this.

But the English government have created this problems, many care homes are charities and get little, if any government funding. Because the government can't make money out of these people they don't care about them.

But they will happily I've away millions of pounds so big wig bankers, politicians don't lose their bonus.

You dont need qualifications to be caring, the problem is not a lack of qualifications its a recruitment problem. Whoever vetted these people must have had a screw loose!

I am shocked that no action was taken when Terry Bryan when he made his complaints to the Hospital & CQC. In my opinion they are just as bad. They (CQC) have called it a misjudgement. How can it be a misjudgement when a former nurse who has witnessed these horrific assaults on the patient's. It is unacceptable.

I really hope these thugs are sent to prison.

It seems the CQC- a set of useless gimps who are incapable of doing a proper job- will turn a blind eye to abuse but will elsewhere tear overworked, conscientous people to shreds for not dotting 'i's.

Archived