Did you apply for Olympic Tickets?

Heard on the radio this morning that someone had £11,000 taken out of his account in respect of Olympic tickets - hardly seems fair does it. Then again I bet the blokes pretty gutted too :hihi:

Apperently the guy had ordered £33,000 worth of tickets knowing he wouldn't get them all hence the £11,000 which he as had debited,he said in a news interview that that was the only way to guarntee getting some tickets was to order loads more than he wanted

I have to say that, having applied for £2500 worth of tickets, if I don`t get any at all I`ll be pretty annoyed. I accept that I went for the tickest which would be most in demand (i.e. the cheapest two price bands for the Athletics and Swimming finals), but even so, I feel a bit of mathematics is in order.

The Olympic stadium holds 80,000, the swimming pool holds 17,500 spectators.

I applied for 5 nights [2 tickets per night] of Athletics and 7 nights of swimming, that`s 24 tickets in all, out of a potential 522,500 seats (all prices).

If I don`t get any, that begs the question, how many seats (in the bottom 2 price bands) were actually available ? ! ? And let`s just remember, these weren`t "cheap" tickets in the normal sense of the word, up to £150 each, and that`s not cheap.....

They had 20 million ticket requests. I expect most of them were for the 500,000 seats you mentioned.

I`d have thought that, but we might both be wrong about that actually because I`ve asked quite a few people I know whether they`ve had any tickets and which ones they applied for. Many haven`t got any, but, surprisingly, relatively few applied for these "main" events, partly because they didn`t think they`d get them, and partly because of the high prices.

Whatever the truth of the matter seeing Lord Coe pontificating on the TV that loads of tickets were available "at reasonable prices", just sticks in my throat. There might be loads of tickets for Synchronised Wheelchair Water Polo (or some equally esoteric event), but not many people actually want to go to that.....

Apperently the guy had ordered £33,000 worth of tickets knowing he wouldn't get them all hence the £11,000 which he as had debited,he said in a news interview that that was the only way to guarntee getting some tickets was to order loads more than he wanted

But I ordered loads more than I actually wanted, and, it looks like, I won`t get any at all......

The system does seem a little strange, but I guess they wanted to avoid a first come first served system that would have given an advantage to certain groups of people.

As has been mentioned, the system they did use gave an enormous advantage to the rich but then again that's society in general :-(

Will they tell us if we haven't been successful? I applied for some tickets but no money has gone out of my account...

As far as I know they could take money out fo your account any time up to the 10th of June, but, apparently, if they haven`t done so by Tuesday the 31st May, then the chances of getting any tickets is low. I don`t know why that would be but could this be because the only tickets available from the first of June are ones where the payments haven`t gone through ?

What I really can't get my head around are the people that are saying "Oh we've got tickets for X event - we didn't want those".... :loopy:

I agree completely the system was way beyond ideal, but surely they can only potentially allocate you tickets that YOU applied for.

Archived