Maternity grant unfair

Maybe then if people are so for paying for their kids outright themselfs and they want Child Benefit scrapped, they should hand there Child Benefit back over to the state or donate it to charity?

I beleive that parents should pay for their offspring, however I wouldn't want child benefit scrapping.

I'm quite happy with means testing it, (as is effectively happening in 2013).

The new rules mean that I'l lose my child benefit, but I'm quite happy with that. All we've done with the child benefit is place it into my Daughter's bank account.

We've economised and sacrificed to ensure that she is well fed, clothed, educated; and that she gets the horse riding lessons, the foreign trips, the piano and singing lessons, etc.

It's not all about the financial input though. My parents had very little, but they did what they could for me; they never expected state handouts like todays 'breed for greed' culture.

The point I'm trying to make in all of this is never judge a book by it's cover, it's so easy to stand there on the outside looking in and thinking that you know what's going off when in fact you know nothing. Everyone lives different lifes, no one knows what's around the corner etc etc. It's so easy to judge or be judged these days. People tend to think On Benefits = scrubber/bad parent, not always the case.

I beleive that parents should pay for their offspring, however I wouldn't want child benefit scrapping.

I'm quite happy with means testing it, (as is effectively happening in 2013).

The new rules mean that I'l lose my child benefit, but I'm quite happy with that. All we've done with the child benefit is place it into my Daughter's bank account.

We've economised and sacrificed to ensure that she is well fed, clothed, educated; and that she gets the horse riding lessons, the foreign trips, the piano and singing lessons, etc.

It's not all about the financial input though. My parents had very little, but they did what they could for me; they never expected state handouts like todays 'breed for greed' culture.

I agree too on means teasting it, don't think I would loose mine at the moment with husband out of work but maybe when he goes back I would? I also think it would stop some people having kids just for the cash, that is what I object to. But I don't object to someone wanting a family if they can't work through no fault of their own.

Maybe then if people are so for paying for their kids outright themselfs and they want Child Benefit scrapped, they should hand there Child Benefit back over to the state or donate it to charity?

People earning over 45k don't get it anyway now...

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and just rang to enquirer about the maternity grant and just been told I'm not eligible to claim because I'm on incapacity benefit not income support! so because I'm not working because I'm unable rather than either by choice or been unfortunate i cant get any help for my baby i think this is disgusting so because I'm ill my baby has to miss out on £500 to help me provide a good start where as if i was just unemployed i could claim. :rant::rant::rant:

If you were 'just' unemployed you would be on a significantly smaller income, so you do have a choice change to a lower paid benefit and get the grant or accept what you've got.

child allowance should be means tested its not as important to people as it was in the 1950's and 60's and people shouldnt rely on it, a lot of young girls do get pregnant knowing how much money they can claim from the state if they arent working, why hand out a carrot ie as in child allowance just to produce more babies, in some cases not even wanted!

Archived