Maternity grant unfair

My partner is due to give birth over the next couple of weeks.

We are both nearly 40 years old and have waited until we are in a financially secure enough position to have children without further burdening the state.

I personally think it is unfair to expect automatic handouts just because people are pregnant.

Part of the reason we are in such a financial mess at the moment is because people have been prepared to take easy money from the State system when perhaps they should have been exercising a little self control.

Fair enough; there are people who genuinely need financial support but it makes me boil when it is just expected and accepted.

People on benefits shouldn't have babies

hate to agree, but i do! if you cant afford to kit your baby out now, how will you afford them for 18 years? i dont think anyone should expect money as a handout, regardless of their situation.

hate to agree, but i do! if you cant afford to kit your baby out now, how will you afford them for 18 years? i dont think anyone should expect money as a handout, regardless of their situation.

So say for instance if someone was born with an illness that prevented them from working or they could only work a little (part time) then they should not have kids? Even though they were born that way? No fault of their own etc?

Just for the reccord I work and have 3 kids, my husband did work, until he suffered an accident at work so is currently claiming incapacity benefit until he finds a suitable job that he can do with his injury that will now last a lifetime.

There is something now for ALL expectant mothers called 'Health in Pregnancy' grant which is £190 and you need a form signed and sent off by midwife at the 25 week point.

My youngest is now 22 month old and I was pregnant when i was introduced cutting it fine by being 2 weeks inside the qualifying group when it started.

Just get your MW to check this as better than nothing.

There is something now for ALL expectant mothers called 'Health in Pregnancy' grant which is £190 and you need a form signed and sent off by midwife at the 25 week point.

My youngest is now 22 month old and I was pregnant when i was introduced cutting it fine by being 2 weeks inside the qualifying group when it started.

Just get your MW to check this as better than nothing.

Think this has been stopped?

Yes but it is handy to get priority on the housing list.

if ya cant afford to have kids dont have em - dont expect taxpayers to pay for you, theres too many kids in this country anyway!

Don't know if this was a serious post, or a micky take. But it's on the money. If you can't feed em, don't breed em. Simples.

Regards

Angel.

Archived