Maternity grant unfair

I don't think education is a lifestyle choice, nor is health care, nor are public services. You can't just make up what I said, you have to look at the actual words! Maybe you just ignored the word lifestyle and thought that I meant all choices...

Well ignored, you think that doing a degree or Phd in 'Klingon Studies' is not a lifestyle choice? What about people who become disabled due to their hobby? You seem to be viewing the world through very tight blinkers ONLY having children is a lifestyle choice?? I know somebody who through a climbing accident has made himself a quadraplegic, he is now unemployed and is VERY unlikely to work again. You don't consider that to be a lifestyle choice? Nobody forced him to climb, he made a conscious decission to do that and made a consious decission not to take out insurance. Instead you harp on about having children, anyone would think you had an irrational dislike of parents or children?

PhD's require funding, so if you can find one in Klingon studies, then good luck to you.

I don't think a degree is a lifestyle choice, I think it's an educational choice, it's not long term and the students can only choose from amongst the options offered to them. We do have fairly useless degree's on offer, but I don't see that as the fault of the students taking them (although I do question why they bother).

I certainly didn't say that having children was the only lifestyle choice, what I said was that a degree isn't, using the health service isn't and using public services isn't, those being the examples that were used.

Unless this someone you know, chose to be injured, then no, of course it isn't a lifestyle choice. Do you know what lifestyle means? Climbing is something you go and do, it's over in a day, maybe two, nobody plans to be crippled for life by an accident. Children are a commitment that takes 20 years (ish) to deal with and they define your lifestyle for that time.

Lifestyle choices are choices which deliberately affect your entire way of life. Children obviously, caring for a relative maybe, becoming a climbing instructor in the alps, or a dive instructor in Thailand, travelling for an extended period, and so on.

I've said nothing to indicate that I dislike children or parents, if it isn't clear to you, I dislike the work shy, "I'm entitled to" attitude of some people whether they have children or not.

So caring for a relative is a lifestyle choice! Really! So the wife of the climber I previously mentioned made a 'lifestyle' choice when she gave up her job to be a full time carer! So given the choice between forcing the state to pay for 24 hour care for her hubby (not cheap at all) and staying at home, saving the state an absolute fortune, you think she should have gone to work? What do you think caring for a quadraplegic is? A holiday!! I find your description of 'lifestyle choices' fascinating! I didn't PLAN to be made redundant yet you describe my having children as a lifestyle choice, I didn't plan for my marriage to break up or anything that followed from that I CERTAINLY didn't plan to end up as a single parent. Just like my mate the climber didn't plan to fall off Stanage edge, didn't plan to land on a ridge of rock which broke his neck. As to your dislike of "I'm entitled to" what about your belief that you are 'entitled' to make judgements on people you don't know and have never met? You're apparant 'entitlement' to make sweeping judgements made, from what it seems, on stereotypes, or is that OK?

Sometimes there isn't much of a choice involved, but it's certainly a commitment that changes your whole life isn't it. Unlike going for a climb, which is something that most likely would just change my entire afternoon.

Did you not choose to have children? Did you not think that it would alter your life style? In what way is it not a choice about how your life is going to be lived?

We're all entitled to opinions, fortunately they don't cost the tax payer anything. It's when the "I'm entitled to" is costing everyone else that it becomes an attitude I dislike. Also, my entitlement to an opinion comes with my responsibility for having that opinion, something that the "I'm entitled to" attitude is too often divorced from.

So you are happy with the idea I'm entitled to an ediucation, even if that education is irrelevent, useless and provides no useful benefit to society? You're happy to pay for that persons education?

Is education ever useless...doesn't the actual process of learning improve one's mind?

With regards education/degrees.

I would imagine most people commit to a degree course in order to better themselves and give themselves a chance to get a better job with a higher salary.

People who deliberatly become pregnant, and expect the taxpayer to support them are nothing more than leeches.

These people would recieve the taxes from the person who has studied for a degree, to pay for there additional offspring.

How about paying for your own kids?

So you are happy with the idea I'm entitled to an ediucation, even if that education is irrelevent, useless and provides no useful benefit to society? You're happy to pay for that persons education?

As someone else already said, I don't think that education is ever useless.

I would like to see universities focus on the most useful degree's though.

Even as a graduate with a less than useful degree you're likely to end up paying back some of the loan you take to fund it though, and for the ones that never make it, yes, I think it's worth the state paying for the education.

Archived