Maternity grant unfair

dont care what u say the majority of so called dads still dont do cleaning cooking and washing - they might play with the kids but i bet thats it!

Well that's sad in my opinion and very old fashioned.

laineyiow - thats all she did get!! she got nothing else i know for a fact, my dad worked 7 days a week to provide for us, thats what i said originally - did us no harm!

The same as my mum then. My dad worked all the hours he could doing an office job during the day and a bar job in the evenings - my mum also worked some evenings too when we got older - but I wouldn't say that we lived in a particularly happy household. Mum and dad always seemed to have money worries and arguments, which affected all our lives. But at least we paid our way!

Me, I've always worked since being 15. Only been out of work for very short periods and have never claimed any benefits apart from the ones that I have been entitled to such as maternity grant and child allowance. And, yes, I did go back to work after having my child and, yes, she did go to a childminder (shock! horror! :o ).

And I was nearly 31 before I had my daughter too!

But we made a conscious decision that we would only have the one child as we knew that we couldn't afford any more children and we did provide for her ourselves without depending on state handouts, which is what too many people who have children and continue having children do rely on these days.

So say for instance if someone was born with an illness that prevented them from working or they could only work a little (part time) then they should not have kids? Even though they were born that way? No fault of their own etc?

Just for the reccord I work and have 3 kids, my husband did work, until he suffered an accident at work so is currently claiming incapacity benefit until he finds a suitable job that he can do with his injury that will now last a lifetime.

i am not saying they cant have kids, i am saying it shouldnt be expected that they receive money from the state. my point is if they need £500 to kit nursery out etc, how will they afford the day to day costs. i am pregnant and thought long and hard about being able to afford it etc, so dont see why someone else on benefits cant do the same planning!

So say for instance if someone was born with an illness that prevented them from working or they could only work a little (part time) then they should not have kids? Even though they were born that way? No fault of their own etc?

Just for the reccord I work and have 3 kids, my husband did work, until he suffered an accident at work so is currently claiming incapacity benefit until he finds a suitable job that he can do with his injury that will now last a lifetime.

I cant think of an illness that would prevent you working that would not mean you are not suitable to care for children, otherwise surely you could be a childminder?

my mum had 5 kids never worked, brought us all up, my dad worked 7 days a week to provide for us, never hurt any of us and we were brought up knowing right from wrong, mum never palmed us off to anyone and they didnt get a penny from the state - there was less trouble back then also and kids were far more respectful - shame it cant be like that again!!

Do you think your Dad enjoyed working 7 days a week?

well done laineyiow - how unselfish of you!! and i bet you have a lovely family life even with just 1 child!

Yes we did even though when she was four me and her dad split up and I became a single mum - albeit a working single mum!!!

But I met and married my second husband (who I am now divorced from) who became a dad to my child and she was brought up in a very happy family environment and she now has a child herself and lives in a happy family environment - but the difference being they are on benefits!!!

Archived