HELP PLEASE!! The Forum have just cancelled my 30th Bday Party!

I am so upset! I have been organising this with them since February, and just received an Email saying that because it's Tramlines Festival that weekend they are not doing private parties (even though I paid them the venue hire 3wks ago :()

It is a joint 30th party with other people. We were looking forward to it being on the same weekend as Tramlines because the whole City Centre will be buzzing... but may have to scrap that idea if everywhere is taking the same stance as the Forum.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other venues? I would like somewhere good in the City Centre, preferably with outside space, on 23rd July.

:help:

I am so upset! I have been organising this with them since February, and just received an Email saying that because it's Tramlines Festival that weekend they are not doing private parties (even though I paid them the venue hire 3wks ago :()

It is a joint 30th party with other people. We were looking forward to it being on the same weekend as Tramlines because the whole City Centre will be buzzing... but may have to scrap that idea if everywhere is taking the same stance as the Forum.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other venues? I would like somewhere good in the City Centre, preferably with outside space, on 23rd July.

:help:

If they've accepted payment I would be looking for more than my money back from the forum, they've breached their side of the contract, I'm sure that they'd have been penalties if you'd have breached your side of the contract.

If they've accepted payment I would be looking for more than my money back from the forum, they've breached their side of the contract, I'm sure that they'd have been penalties if you'd have breached your side of the contract.

I know :(

They offered changing the date, but when I asked about the Saturday nights immediately before & after, they haven't got them free anyway :loopy:

It's a joint party with other friends coming up from London, so I'm in a bit of a stress at the moment!

Here's what they said:

Hi Katie,

I wanted to get in touch as Nick has been looking after my desk in my absence and I have just returned back to my office.

The general manager of the Forum has just contacted me to say that unfortunately we will not be taking any bookings at all in the venues over the tramlines weekend and unfortunately Nick was unaware of this when he made your booking for you. I sincerely apologise for the mishap but I will have to change your booking. I can postpone your event to another date?

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Once again I am sorry for the change in plans.

Kind regards

Hi Yuriko,

I am extremely distressed at this news. The 23rd July is not only my 30th Birthday but also two of my friends’. I have been discussing this date with you since February, and the booking fee was taken from my account 3 weeks ago. All the invitations have already been sent.

Whilst I understand that the Tramlines festival will make the Forum extremely busy that weekend, I would have assumed that any venue would be obliged to honour a booking that had been paid in full many weeks previously?

I would appreciate discussing this with the general manager if this is a problem,

Regards,

Katie

Hi Katie,

I have just spoken to the general manager and explained about your situation and our correspondence at the beginning of the year. I also explained that you have paid for the venue hire with Nick weeks in advance to the date. Unfortunately he has said that logistically there is no way we can host any parties at all over that weekend as we are the official bar of Tramlines and The Forum will be separated into our usual dining area with our own events and the other half where your party was meant to take place which will be solely dedicated to the festival main stage.

I completely understand your frustration and disappointment and once again I do apologise for this news. I will of course be organising a full refund for you which can be put back onto your card or by cheque. Please let me know which you prefer and any details I might need to organise this.

Kind regards,

OK so I understand that they're not gonna budge on that weekend, but would have thought they'd offer better than just a straight refund for all the upset? :confused: Not very good customer service is it?

Hi Katie,

you could try asking them for some further compensation for the inconvenience and if they don't offer some form of recompense you may be entitled to go to the small claims court. Contact Consumer Direct for more information on: http://www.oft.gov.uk/consumer-advice/oft-and-cd/

As for an alternate venue I wonder if one of the pubs at Kelham Island might be able to help? They're off the beaten track whilst still being within walking distance from the main strip so shouldn't be quite as rammed as places in central city centre.

They have offered the money back and a different date :huh: small claims court over a party booking :roll:

When did I suggest small claims court. But once money had changed hands a contract was in place. From a business point of view they would be better to arrange an alternative date and absorb some of the cost for the injured party as a gesture of good will and to compensate for the inconvenience .

poor you, rubbish that they have only just realised - the tramlines date was announced ages ago, and im sure they would have presumed it would be the same weekend as last yar.hope you manage to find somewhere else - have you thought about restaurants such as viva tequila or cubanas?

poor you, rubbish that they have only just realised - the tramlines date was announced ages ago, and im sure they would have presumed it would be the same weekend as last yar.hope you manage to find somewhere else - have you thought about restaurants such as viva tequila or cubanas?

Cubanas is really nice but a lot of places around west st and division street will be doing something for tramlines. Somewhere on Ecclesall road might be a decent alternative as they will be quiet in comparison.

Archived