Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

[quote name=Sheffield City Council Allotment Service

Frequently Asked Questions]

1. How does the allotment waiting list work?

All allotment sites now have a waiting list due to the high demand for plots. When you have completed your application form and returned it to us your name will be added to the bottom of the waiting list for your chosen site. You can only put your name down on one waiting list at a time. Allocation of plots is based on the ‘first come, first served’ principle and it is a case of waiting until you reach the top of the list.

Not only does the city have a lack of housing, it has a lack of allotments.

Should poor people get priority for allotments;

The unemployed, low wage workers, asylum seekers whom are forbidden from working legally and fellow European/A2 nationals who are denied access to the social safety net.

Allotments are all that remain of the people's common land. They belong to everybody and therefore I don't think anyone should be given priority on the list. What I would like to see are lots of new growing spaces being made available for community groups and an end to the dreaded waiting list.

Allotments are all that remain of the people's common land. They belong to everybody and therefore I don't think anyone should be given priority on the list. What I would like to see are lots of new growing spaces being made available for community groups and an end to the dreaded waiting list.

Same here, there used to be well over a million allotments in this country.

What with food prices rising, people will need allotments to add fruit to their diet and reduce their expenditure on food products.

There aren't enough jobs to go around, so if your unfortunate to be unemployed, having an allotment to occupy your time whilst you find work is good for moral too.

Not only does the city have a lack of housing, it has a lack of allotments.

Should poor people get priority for allotments;

The unemployed, low wage workers, asylum seekers whom are forbidden from working legally and fellow European/A2 nationals who are denied access to the social safety net.

An excellent forward looking solution to a problem.

Same here, there used to be well over a million allotments in this country.

What with food prices rising, people will need allotments to add fruit to their diet and reduce their expenditure on food products.

There aren't enough jobs to go around, so if your unfortunate to be unemployed, having an allotment to occupy your time whilst you find work is good for moral too.

Agree with you.I think allotments declined a few yrs ago because food was so much cheaper plus more work around so no one had time although now we need to see a return on allotment plots as its now more fashionable ( thanks to Hugh F-W ) plus healthier and cheaper.

We are lucky to have a garden and have grown cabbage,onion,beans ect but what im seeing is next doors lad! He is 16 ( bit of an handfull if you know what i mean) happily growing potatoes in a tub! So,with a little encouragement we could widely and hopefully get a new generation growing! We just need land again :)

Archived