Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

Allocation of plots shouldn’t only depending on the ‘first come, first served’ principle, it must also depending on "Poor people first" principle. and they shouldn’t wait until they reach the top of the list.

Why don't we see the council estates' "poor people's" gardens choc a bloc with veg if people are so interested in growing their own..? Genuine question..they have the opportunity to do it.. why aren't they?

Why don't we see the council estates' "poor people's" gardens choc a bloc with veg if people are so interested in growing their own..? Genuine question..they have the opportunity to do it.. why aren't they?

Council housing isn't full of poor people, the houses with gardens are often tenanted by pensioners.

I didn't say is was...why aren't the tennants with gardens growing their own veg if there's such a demand for it..?

I said earlier that perhaps 1 to 2% of people want to grow veg on an allotment or in their garden.

Consider that council housing is occupied mainly by the elderly and that young people are more likely to live in flats, add to that the fact of the shortage of allotments and then you see the need for more allotments.

Is that true or just a guess?..
A guess. 79.86% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

In Chem1sts head the world is full of people just like him. In reality there are few people just like him. Even if we divided the land equally and told everyone they could grow their own food and build themselves a house how many would? How many could? Where would these skills come from?Who is to pay for people to learn them? What are we to do while they learn them?

I'm thrilled he is so motivated. I hope he gets his allotment and his patch of land. But the reality is few others feel the way he does or are as motivated to behave the way he wants to behave. He preaching falls on very stony ground I fear.

I said earlier that perhaps 1 to 2% of people want to grow veg on an allotment or in their garden.

Consider that council housing is occupied mainly by the elderly and that young people are more likely to live in flats, add to that the fact of the shortage of allotments and then you see the need for more allotments.

there are loads of allotments-they need clearing after decades of being out of fashion!!!

and maybe its time to talk to old people (some of them are quite nice, don't know what you've got against them, besides the fact that they want to live in homes/communities that they mayhave been part of for 60 years)

young people desparate for food growing space could help them with their gardens.....win win

:)

Archived