Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

passbyblade the problem is that are are 2 distinct different types of people on benefits.

those who have lost their jobs or come across some form of hardship.

those to whome benefits are a lifestyle choice.

from those 2 groups one are to be assisted in every way, the other group could be culled and society would benefit as a result.

Hallelujah, there is sense on SF.

There is an oap who lives a few houses away from me, he lets two fellas grow veg, in his back garden and he is quite happy not having to buy it from the shops, they give him an ample share, and he's happy.

To be honest the only people I know who grow veg are oaps. Most young people don't have the time/attention span.

To be honest the only people I know who grow veg are oaps. Most young people don't have the time/attention span.

most people have the time. if they have time to watch tv/use the net/play on a ps3 or xbox/go to the pub then they have time to dig.

its the attention span or inclination they are short of.

Nothing better on the table than your own grown fruit and veg. Seeds costs £1 per pack with potential for food to last the winter.

Many people are hardening their gardens in favour of low maintenance outdoor spaces because of the reduction in green waster services.

most people have the time. if they have time to watch tv/use the net/play on a ps3 or xbox/go to the pub then they have time to dig.

That's a fairly definitive statement. So instead of playing COD or what ever the young uns do these days, at 2 in the morning they should start spreading horse muck in rain and dark instead. People work longer hours, many have longish commutes kids and their never ending activities to co-ordinate, they might just fancy a glass of wine rather than tilling the land.

That said if all they do is watch Jeremy Kyle whilst waiting for a giro to drop through the door, there is no excuse.

You mean that they could have the time by sacrificing time currently spent on other leisure pursuits.

The two fellas I mentioned are in their fifties, as for young people well I think it's up to their parents to get a grip of them and chuck em in the garden or even give em a paint brush or what ever and make em do things instead of letting em sit around on their backsides doing nowt.:gag:

Chem1st is all for stealing land,

No I am not, I am AGAINST the theft of the land. What you have said is completely false.

he thinks it's justified because sometime around a 1000 years ago it was all stolen, although probably not from him.

The land was stolen. Theft is wrong. The land must be returned to communal ownership.

It can be done so in a way where people pay rent to the community in the form of a land value tax. Other taxes can be reduced. Idle land can be used by others instead of being left idle.

The LVT can be administered in such a way that certain land can be left to nature, it can also be done in such a way as to promote rotational cropping where portions of land are periodically left fallow.

The land was stolen, and it should be returned, the theft should be punished and any gains arising from the theft should be seized for the community.

If your working on somebody else's land they should be paying you minimum wage.

If somebody is too idle to use land but happy to share it, they should just give it up in the first place. They need to be taxed to incentivise them to do so.

have you even read the site? You don't work someone else's land, you use it to grow your own food and as a thank you some people give a portion of the produce to the land owner. Simple as that.

have you even read the site? You don't work someone else's land, you use it to grow your own food and as a thank you some people give a portion of the produce to the land owner. Simple as that.

He thinks that if they aren't using the land themselves (and having a lawn doesn't count as use) then they should have that land taken from them or pay a tax for the fact that they own it.

Archived