Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

I don't think you should say "should poor people be ALLOWED to grow their own food".

What right have you, or any-one else. to have that power. If people want to grow their own food, they will. If they cannot be bothered, then they will not.

Also, why should the poor be supervised when growing their own food. Are you saying that the rich or better off people can self govern but the poor cannot.

The whole premise of this thread is flawed and should be deleted. The poster should be ashamed of themselves to even having muted the idea.

if you have some sun and a balcony or even a shared yard you can grow your own veggies in pots. Cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries all grow well from pots with a minimum amount of effort. Herbs grow well in window sills..

I remember seeing a Beeb documentary about the gardening revolution of the 50s & 60s and people using grow bags to grow record breaking veggies.. You dont need an allotment to grow your own, just a bit of creativity and some decent planting pots.

I don't think you should say "should poor people be ALLOWED to grow their own food".

What right have you, or any-one else. to have that power. If people want to grow their own food, they will. If they cannot be bothered, then they will not.

Also, why should the poor be supervised when growing their own food. Are you saying that the rich or better off people can self govern but the poor cannot.

The whole premise of this thread is flawed and should be deleted. The poster should be ashamed of themselves to even having muted the idea.

The point of the thread is that poor people are in a position where they are unable to grow their own food.

We used to have council housing and plenty of allotments, now access to council housing is practically non existent for the majority, especially those under 30, access to allotments is also restricted.

Saying" should we allow poor people to grow their own food" sounds wrong. It sounds as though there is a law preventing them from doing so. Maybe we should encourage people to grow their own food. Not just the poor, but everyone.

if you have some sun and a balcony or even a shared yard you can grow your own veggies in pots. Cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries all grow well from pots with a minimum amount of effort. Herbs grow well in window sills..

I remember seeing a Beeb documentary about the gardening revolution of the 50s & 60s and people using grow bags to grow record breaking veggies.. You dont need an allotment to grow your own, just a bit of creativity and some decent planting pots.

Here are some photo's from today of my little pot garden.

I have out the back; Blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberry's, raspberry's, strawberry's, rhubarb, tomatoes, cucumber, salad leaves, radish, courgettes, mange tout, Petit peas, dwarf French bean, beetroot, spring onions (just had a crop :)) and sunflowers in the pots on the wall.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/beesnake/Back.jpg

Out the front are; 4 different tomatoes, traffic light peppers, green peppers, courgettes, mint, rosemary, oregano and sage.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/beesnake/Front.jpg

And indoors, chilli peppers, jalapeño peppers, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, rocket and minibel tomatoes. Some of which will be planted outside as well.

I started this 2 months ago as i've never had a garden before so this is my first go at growing in pots in a limited space and its fun for my grandson as well.

I don't think allotments are a particularly cheap option! Plus you'll struggle for year-round produce without a root cellar or similar...

I disagree. you can start vegies off in a green house, a poly tunnel, a shed, on a windowsill or in a cupboard depending on what they want. Your allotment may come with a poly tunnel or green house. When my parents finally got an allotment, someone from another allotment gave them a massive poly tunnel for free, and the allotment already had a shed on it. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of land you get.

Archived