Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

Here are some photo's from today of my little pot garden.

I have out the back; Blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberry's, raspberry's, strawberry's, rhubarb, tomatoes, cucumber, salad leaves, radish, courgettes, mange tout, Petit peas, dwarf French bean, beetroot, spring onions (just had a crop :)) and sunflowers in the pots on the wall.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/beesnake/Back.jpg

Out the front are; 4 different tomatoes, traffic light peppers, green peppers, courgettes, mint, rosemary, oregano and sage.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/beesnake/Front.jpg

And indoors, chilli peppers, jalapeño peppers, basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, rocket and minibel tomatoes. Some of which will be planted outside as well.

I started this 2 months ago as i've never had a garden before so this is my first go at growing in pots in a limited space and its fun for my grandson as well.

That looks amazing!!!! Congrats on your garden!

I disagree. you can start vegies off in a green house, a poly tunnel, a shed, on a windowsill or in a cupboard depending on what they want. Your allotment may come with a poly tunnel or green house. When my parents finally got an allotment, someone from another allotment gave them a massive poly tunnel for free, and the allotment already had a shed on it. Prices are very reasonable for the amount of land you get.

My allotment was completely overgrown, it's taken 2 years of hard work and money to get it cultivated. I've tried to avoid spending much, but tools, seeds, sheds and polytunnels don't always come free...

because those of us with a garden have space to put in a vegetable patch, where do those living in a block of flats have?

They could buy a house with a garden?

If allotments are "common land" then there should be no preferential treatment regardless of income or current living arrangements

In my garden when it gets very dry there's a pattern of small plots that becomes visible where the grass dries out more than other areas. I suspect it's a relic of WW2 when everyone was encouraged to grow as many vegetables as they could in their gardens.

That looks amazing!!!! Congrats on your garden!

Thanks. :)

Unfortunately the wind last week battered some of the tomato plants and one has snapped at the base. But... I have more.:D

BTW

If anyone is interested Wilkinsons are selling those dark green grow bags you can see at 75% off which makes them around .70p for 2! They hold around 40 ltr of compost as well and are well made and easy to carry.

My ex-wife got an allotment and spent hundreds of hours clearing the brambles etc. We got one lot of carrots from there before Yobbo's came and trashed it. Smashed all the plants and generally wrecked the place. After that it was a case of what's the point.

My ex-wife got an allotment and spent hundreds of hours clearing the brambles etc. We got one lot of carrots from there before Yobbo's came and trashed it. Smashed all the plants and generally wrecked the place. After that it was a case of what's the point.

I can empathise, on our first day on our allotment we had a water butt and a composting bin, by day two both had been stolen- it's very disheartening!

However I think it's due to the fact that the Council allows allotments to be ignored for years on end as long as the rent keeps being paid. If more people were actually using the allotments regularly I think vandalism would be reduced and there would also be more strength behind people calling for better security (proper fencing and such) being placed around the site. Plus it would help reduce waiting lists. I think if an allotment is abandoned for more than a year it should be taken off the holder.

Not only does the city have a lack of housing, it has a lack of allotments.

Should poor people get priority for allotments;

The unemployed, low wage workers, asylum seekers whom are forbidden from working legally and fellow European/A2 nationals who are denied access to the social safety net.

I can not believe your post, do you want people on benefits to be issued with free seeds. You do not need an allotment to grow your own.

Are you trying to provoke an argument.

You can grow your own in pots,

The point of the thread is that poor people are in a position where they are unable to grow their own food.

Would these so called "Poor people" get their allotments rent free?

As a kid growing up in Walkely we saw hundreds of allotments along the Rivelin valley, quite a few of them over Rivelin provided weekend accommodation.

My Grandfather had an Allotment on Parkwood springs with many members picking coke from the nearby power station tip to heat the greenhouses.

Many allotments users subsidised their wartime rations with produce grown in them.

Allotments are hard work it would certainly sort out the workshy from genuine cases.

Archived