Should poor people be allowed to grow their own food?

And unregulated house building too, built by god knows who, to god knows what standard.

I haven't called for lower building standards, I want higher ones, minimum room sizes and the likes, more generous than those of Parker Morris!

I haven't said that it will. So full marks for the invention of some utopian ideal.

We have idle land.

We have people willing to grow food, actively wishing to pay for the privilege of doing so! (Let's not forget that one third of farms in this country are tenanted, primarily smaller farms, and that they are the most productive!)

We have people who get agricultural subsidies for merely owning land and they leave it idle.

We also have old people and disabled people with gardens that they cannot use - these people would be better suited to housing with communal gardens on the flat.

I think that when we stop people from taking on a very small allotment to practise growing food we will rapidly lose our skill base, small suppliers of goods for these people will go out of business and that agriculture as a whole will suffer.

Land benefits by being set aside. It's been the practice in Europe for thousands of years. They don't do it in brazil hence large swathes of desert appearing where there was first virgin forest then cattle pasture. Didn't that policy also help do in the Mayans ?

I haven't said that it will. So full marks for the invention of some utopian ideal.

We have idle land.

We have people willing to grow food, actively wishing to pay for the privilege of doing so! (Let's not forget that one third of farms in this country are tenanted, primarily smaller farms, and that they are the most productive!)

We have people who get agricultural subsidies for merely owning land and they leave it idle.

We also have old people and disabled people with gardens that they cannot use - these people would be better suited to housing with communal gardens on the flat.

I think that when we stop people from taking on a very small allotment to practise growing food we will rapidly lose our skill base, small suppliers of goods for these people will go out of business and that agriculture as a whole will suffer.

Well far be it from me to bring facts into it but have a look at your thread title. It's the poor growing their own food.

You talk about "idle land" but you don't ever define it. It's seems you see a field with nothing apparently going on in your eyes and envisage a multitude of the poor gorging themselves on a variety of fruit and veg they have magically now grown in it. You have apparently no horticultural or agricultral knowledge yet have made ludicrously impractical mass market small scale agriculture your cri de coeur. It's a fantasy nonsense and even if it where vaguely practical then what as other posters have raised do you do in a year like this when "harvests" have been badly hit by weather conditions and the poor are all dependant on them?

What? Have you ever seen a skint farmer? They all bleat and drive round in top end German cars. And have trendy tractors.

before i moved to sheffield i lived in a very rural area in county durham. the only wealthy people where the incommers. the farmers are small businessmen and are struggling like the rest of us. there's not much profit in farming sheep.

so in answer to your question. yes i know a lot of skint farmers.

before i moved to sheffield i lived in a very rural area in county durham. the only wealthy people where the incommers. the farmers are small businessmen and are struggling like the rest of us. there's not much profit in farming sheep.

so in answer to your question. yes i know a lot of skint farmers.

Why do farmers drive round in top end cars then?

Archived