Returning a telly that is not fit for purpose

Hi all,

I bought a television at the beginning of this year from a high street store with the view of playing 3d games on my PS3. I have noticed an appalling amount of input lag while displaying in 3d. So much so that when I press a button on the PS3 controller it takes not far off a second for the telly to display this making gaming almost impossible. Even when I'm running in 2d mode there is still input lag although not nearly as much. I'm fairly confident it is not the devices plugged into the telly as there is an equal amount of delay whether I'm using the computer or PS3 (both using different cables). I've turned off all image processing too.

I want to return it and go for a non 3d set as I feel I've just paid about £100 extra for something I cannot use.

I called the store and they said they would have to get it tested which means I'll be without a telly for this time and even then they might tell me there's nowt wrong with it..... Saying that I've tried a friend's ps3 on my telly with the same lag. Could it be the PS3? I've been trying Gran Tourismo for what its worth.

If anyone has been in a similar situation or is a bit more savvy with statutory rights than myself then I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. I've done some reading but it's still pretty unclear to me.

I'm probably going to go with the stores suggestion but I just wanted to make sure they are fulfilling their side of things.

Thanks.

My advice would be to take your PS3 into the store and hook it up through another identical telly.

If it still lags I'd say it was the PS3/telly combination and there is not a great deal you can do about it.

The Sale of Goods Act would probably define a telly as being something to watch TV and videos on. Anything else would be subject to you looking at the specifications of that model and the PS3 to see whether they are compatible.

Unless of course, the rep who sold you it said it would definitely work and then you would have a case under the 'as described' rules, rather than 'fit for purpose'.

Good luck.

John X

Try the playstation 3 on a different TV rather than trying a different playstation 3 on your TV. If you don't have access to another 3d TV and you bought the Playstation from a store that has access to 3D TVs and the playstaion has warranty then take it back - if that makes sense

When I bought it I made clear that I intended to use it to play Gran Tourismo in 3d and the salesperson said it would do that. They said they had a friend who plays the game, not on the same model and that that worked well. Could it be the HDMI cable? They say I need the HDMI 1.4 cable but I think mine might be 1.3.

The box didn't have much on it at all..... just model numbers and features.

Archived