£80 fines for swearing in Barnsley

Is there a published list of words that are deemed to be "foul language"?

If **** is on it, is ass on it too and balls. (or even the infamous Dick Van Dyke?)

Good point.

Perhaps South Yorkshire Police could publish a list of words that will result in an £80 fine.

Isn't 'tory' effectively a swear in Barnsley?

Is there a published list of words that are deemed to be "foul language"?

It may not be what you say but the way you say it, as it stands I believe you get 3 warnings to mind your language before the police act ……… if that’s the case it looks like spot fines are never going to happen.

The offence is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

"(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

It may not be what you say but the way you say it, as it stands I believe you get 3 warnings to mind your language before the police act ……… if that’s the case it looks like spot fines are never going to happen.

So you could get away with saying almost anything so long as it's said in nice manner

The report on local news yesterday said "in the town centre"...I want to find out where the boundary is....so I can stand right next to it and should offensive words from the sideline :hihi:

If anything this decision will be a contributory factor for me NOT to visit Barnsley...as if it wasn't dire enough already :gag:

Good point.

Perhaps South Yorkshire Police could publish a list of words that will result in an £80 fine.

Isn't 'tory' effectively a swear in Barnsley?

I believe 'art', 'culture' and 'soap' are on the list.

Archived