Taekwondo, Coming soon

I do prefer the fighting side of WTF, with students representing Great Britain and Ireland at European and world championship level, the club now has representatives over at the British Taekwondo foot factory in Manchester solely for the elite tkd players. Many of the club have cross trained and fought at full contact karate, K1 and muay, they have done very well for themselves, thier grounding in WTF has stood them in good stead

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taekwondo

Hi Chefkicker

Pilsung is recognised for Olympic Taekwondo and any WTF sanctioned event. It is my understanding that WTF clubs in the UK only enter WTF events. (I may be wrong)

The BTC (National Governing Body) enter many events at World and European level in every aspect of Taekwondo (one step, self defence, Destruction) not just sparring and patterns. Somthing for everyone regardless of age or grade

Do your students ever enter the ring to Fight against Kickboxers or muay Thai Fighters?

Obviously including punches to the head

just curious chefkicker .... do your students enter fencing matches?? same thing isn't it?

Why would fencing be anything like TKD, Kick Boxing, Muay Thai, etc?

None of them look particularly interesting really. I was hoping that MMA would make it in, but probably too brutal I guess.

Grappler - reading the article, it's a joke that any of them are being considered for the olympics. And also a joke that some "sports" are still in the olympics, especially if it's based on, for instance, antidoping protocol, when athletics has had nothing but a string of problems with doping problems at elite player level.

It is a bit rich that the article says that Taekwondo has been beset with controversies since it has been in the olympics. No more so than many other sports I would argue. Outside of the olympics boxing has no end of controversies as a result of the professional bodies inconsistencies yet as a sport it is still not questioned for inclusion ....... it's taken for granted. Should there be a more open and transparent process whereby all the sports are up review.

The reality is that the long-standing sports are quite heavily funded through their national governing bodies, which probably gives them a lot of lobbying power.

Well as I stand hanging, someone with common sense. I believe that the processes and procedures that the WTF have put in place to avoid any issues over scoring are along the right lines, when I was down in London for the Olympics I noticed that the use of the red and blue card system was also used in other contact sports to contest a score. The electronic body armour takes some getting used to also if it is not hit hard it will not score, so yes the future is bright:hihi:

While I DO NOT WANT Taekwondo to be removed from the Olympic programme why is it a joke that other sports are being considered? Without the consideration of other sports Taekwondo would not be there in the first place.

Hi Taekwondo. Check out the article quoted by Grappler. Grappler was right in comments about sports being considered.

The opinions expressed were in response to some of the content of the article. check it out and see what you think ...... I for one believe TKD should stay as an Olympic sport. As a sport it is something adults and children can take part and benefit.

Taekwondo....you say you do not want tkd removed from the olympics, i can safely say you and like minded others would snigger your little heads off, if you actually cared about the future of tkd you would join and make a positive difference, rather than sit at the side lines and snipe.

Taekwondo....you say you do not want tkd removed from the olympics, i can safely say you and like minded others would snigger your little heads off, if you actually cared about the future of tkd you would join and make a positive difference, rather than sit at the side lines and snipe.

I think you'll find he does care, but just has a different opinion to yourself on the best ways to secure the future of Taekwondo?

Excessive politics, IMO, is often the bane of many martial arts- it does not look good to have, supposedly high-up teachers of any martial art, engaging publicly in slanging matches on which 'style' is superior.

Whatever the merits of WTF taekwondo, it's hardly representative of all aspects of the art is it?

While its sports side is obviously well developed, it's pretty clear that its sports de-emphasis on the hands could be seen as problematic for some (for example, when it comes to the self defense aspects, a total absence of a guard with the hands, would be seen as a negative).

So, for those who view things like self defence and tradition as more essential than the sports side, they could well end up contributing to organisations other than the WTF: that wouldn't necessarily consist of, as you put it "sit at the side lines and sniping", but, instead, would be them simply putting their time into the aspects of Taekwondo that they do believe in.

Archived