Taekwondo, Coming soon

Lottery funding (public money) sponsorship and a lot of hard work got 4 people to the Olympics. Who knows had Aaron Cook been selected we may have got 2 gold’s.

Did you know Jade Jones was a TAGB all star and moved to another club to access the Olympic programme?

Yet the majority of people who practice Taekwondo in the UK choose not to do so under the Olympic umbrella. Those in Scotland who did chose the Olympic path through BTCB Scotland had their NGB status removed because they would not work with other groups.

Hi Chefkicker

Pilsung is recognised for Olympic Taekwondo and any WTF sanctioned event. It is my understanding that WTF clubs in the UK only enter WTF events. (I may be wrong)

The BTC (National Governing Body) enter many events at World and European level in every aspect of Taekwondo (one step, self defence, Destruction) not just sparring and patterns. Somthing for everyone regardless of age or grade

2 men and 2 women might get the chance to go for the 2016 Olympic in Rio if they qualify. With many BTCB clubs concentrating on the fighting aspects what is there for those who have passed the fighting age?

I hope it does stay an Olympic sport but it could well be dropped in 2020 in favour of other contact sports. In the past Taekwondo has had some bad press with the scoring and bad referee decisions. A fighter kicking the ref and of course Aaron Cook (seeded number 1) who may change nationalities due to his omission from London. Only in the UK is the regime so restricted. All this will go against Taekwondo come the voting day.

Taekwondo needs to pull together and show the World how great it is regardless of style to ensure it stays as the most popular martial art and Olympic sport in World. (I will get off my soap box now)

Yes I have read that recently, that a few other contact sports are pushing to be involved, includiing (of course for Rio), Brazillian Ju Jitsu and MMA.

MMA rivals boxing in terms of a spectator sport, the UFC event I attended in the US had 14,000 people at the MGM Grand, a venue which even boxing can struggle to fill, at least since Lennox Lewis hung up his gloves.

MMA would, of course, take the Olympics back to its roots, where the MMA style event of Pankration was highly popular.

Hi Chefkicker

Pilsung is recognised for Olympic Taekwondo and any WTF sanctioned event. It is my understanding that WTF clubs in the UK only enter WTF events. (I may be wrong)

The BTC (National Governing Body) enter many events at World and European level in every aspect of Taekwondo (one step, self defence, Destruction) not just sparring and patterns. Somthing for everyone regardless of age or grade

Do your students ever enter the ring to Fight against Kickboxers or muay Thai Fighters?

Obviously including punches to the head ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taekwondo

Hi Chefkicker

Do your students ever enter the ring to Fight against Kickboxers or muay Thai Fighters?

Obviously including punches to the head

just curious chefkicker .... do your students enter fencing matches?? same thing isn't it?

Yes we are cousins; we even trained and graded together for quite a few years. I don’t see this as a feud more a discussion on the merits of both the BTC and WTF. We both have our opinions, Andy is very experienced in the fighting elements and I have chosen a different route.

Chefkicker

I have not entered anyone in other types of fighting exept semi and full contact Taekwondo. I don't know the rules or the coaching, training involved. I am currently training to becoming a performance coach so who knows what the future holds (not for WTF or the BTC just for my own development)

All the sports in contention for 2020

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/summer-olympics-news-eight-sports-vying-spot-2020-151800328--oly.html

Archived