Immigrant recieves 2nd highest bravery award

I think you're slightly missing the point Tony Erikson. mel's thread was definitely of the playful variety, and it doesn't take much to appreciate that it was inspired by the myriad of threads here relating to immigrants/asylum seekers that are negative in foundation-have you missed them?

Obviously the exploits of this Gurkha aren't indicative of immigrants generally, but nor are the negative threads either and we encounter many more of them on this forum-I think that was mel's point, yet I haven't seen the detractors here reflecting similarly on those threads.

Immigrants are just like the rest of us-most are unexceptional, some very talented and a minority are drawn towards criminality and anti social behaviour, none of us have any regard for the latter.

You going to answer the question as to when people can complain? There will come a time when complaints will be seen as legitimate. Do you think the 70, 80, 90 or even 100 million mark.

I know this place has threads pro anti immigrant and race. I sometimes jump in I sometimes don't. It's about challenging opinions and views.

I have seen Mel do nothing but accuse people of being trolls, racist or him just lying to get a point across.

I see you and him labelling people and suggesting how they should think yet not answering questions in return. I don't think you're any different to the things you claim to hate. I guess I could say you're extreme in how you wish to be portrayed as right on. I'm sure you're both very nice people deep down, like 99% of the population but you're as extreme in your practices as the anti immigrant and racist bunch you claim you challenge.

Just curious, what made you think they were 'non-native'?

They were speaking French, I saw some Spanish speaking girls and a bloke I think was definitely from South America who had a diabalo. I also saw a few people of middle eastern descent and African too.

Now I didn't talk to them but I did overhear a few of them and get a visual of them all. I'm going to have to say that my opinion of their origin was based on language and visual stereotypes. Is this OK?

The problem is that whenever immigration is discussed the term racist is soon heard and stifles intelligent debate.

I disagree harvey, the problem is whenever immigration is discussed it's usually against a backdrop of mis-information and downright lies, many propogated by the few xenophobes who inhabit this forum. I cant think of any of them who've been dissuaded from forwarding their argument for fear of being described as a racist-that's just an excuse they create like others play the erroneous 'race card'.

You saying some immigrants don't take the ****? Even the natives take the **** out of the system. Let me guess I'm racist or anti immigration for spelling out that some take the **** out of a system.

Again how do you know I hold them with anymore disdain than any other person that takes the **** out of a system I support.

Are you trying to suggest I'm racist? Go on I dare you. Not liking someone's actions regardless of colour or creed will take some manipulating if you're going to call it such.

I agree with you. Certain aspects of society treat this country shamefully. I watched Traffic Cops last night and the 'native' Welsh were all car thieves and drink drivers.

I disagree harvey, the problem is whenever immigration is discussed it's usually against a backdrop of mis-information and downright lies, many propogated by the few xenophobes who inhabit this forum. I cant think of any of them who've been dissuaded from forwarding their argument for fear of being described as a racist-that's just an excuse they create like others play the erroneous 'race card'.

Like this thread? Mel does the second part to people all the time.

They were speaking French, I saw some Spanish speaking girls and a bloke I think was definitely from South America who had a diabalo. I also saw a few people of middle eastern descent and African too.

Now I didn't talk to them but I did overhear a few of them and get a visual of them all. I'm going to have to say that my opinion of their origin was based on language and visual stereotypes. Is this OK?

Its a proper melting pot out there.

You going to answer the question as to when people can complain? There will come a time when complaints will be seen as legitimate. Do you think the 70, 80, 90 or even 100 million mark.
People can complain whenever they like, but if they're going to I'd rather it was based on facts, rather than just an indiscriminate dislike of foreigners..although of course they're perfectly entitled to complain on whatever grounds they choose. You may not be aware, but Ive always been an advocate of strictly controlled immigration on this forum, but I also appreciate the positive benefits which make this country richer, economically & socially-so you'll never find me gnashing my teeth about it if I dont have reason to do so.

I know this place has threads pro anti immigrant and race. I sometimes jump in I sometimes don't. It's about challenging opinions and views.
Nothing wrong with that, it's what we all do.

I have seen Mel do nothing but accuse people of being trolls, racist or him just lying to get a point across.

You should take that up with him really.

I see you and him labelling people and suggesting how they should think yet not answering questions in return.

I'd be happy to address those issues of me labelling people or suggesting how they should think, if you mean offering my opinion, then that's all your doing here yourself.

I don't think you're any different to the things you claim to hate. I guess I could say you're extreme in how you wish to be portrayed as right on.

See you're now superimposing your view of me over who I really am. I detest people who deride others just because of what they are rather than who they are-you might be surprised to learn that on a rather lively Islamic forum (I'm not a Muslim btw) I contribute to, I have a reputation for being an apologist for white folks and Christians (I'm neither of those either), by their more extreme element.

I'm sure you're both very nice people deep down, like 99% of the population but you're as extreme in your practices as the anti immigrant and racist bunch you claim you challenge.

There's nothing at all extreme about my real life, I live a fairly respectable one, pay my taxes, most of my friends are white British, as are most of my family. But I rarely encounter the negative elements within the asylum seeker/immigrant communities just as I dont in the British or indigenous one. If my next door neighbour were a Somalian who behaved anti socially, I'd have as little regard for him as I would anyone else who behaved similarly.

Archived