Immigrant recieves 2nd highest bravery award

harvey, the million dollar question is would this man walking in his civvies on Sheffield High Street with his family, be regarded as an immigrant/asylum seeker or a soldier decorated for his gallantry and someone who had 'earned the right to settle here', it's a shame the worth of such people has to be measured by their exceptional endevours.

You assume people would not just see him as a person.

They can and we should be proud of how this country does welcome people (So long as they don't take the ****).
On that I'm in total agreement with you, personally I'd have little time for anyone who came here and engaged in criminality or anti-social behaviour.

Yet Mel would have people believe we're a nation of xenophobes and racists who hate all immigrants. We're not.

I'll leave you and mel to scuffle this one out behind the bike sheds, I'll keep an eye out for the dinner ladies ;)

It all seems to boil down to the perception of an immigrant, a British soldier who is awarded a gallantry medal, a doctor who saves a toe.......or maybe a radical extremist, benefit scrounger.

Ahh I see. You're assuming that's how I see all immigrants. If you can't see it was in the context of the threads and the way they turn then I'm not going to explain myself any further.

Would a soldier from Southern Ireland serving in the British army be referred to as an immigrant in the same circumstances by the OP ?

I think the salient point is that a gurkha can be visually identified as being a foreigner, whilst someone from Ireland wouldn't be.

harvey, the million dollar question is would this man walking in his civvies on Sheffield High Street with his family, be regarded as an immigrant/asylum seeker or a soldier decorated for his gallantry and someone who had 'earned the right to settle here', it's a shame the worth of such people has to be measured by their exceptional endevours.

He would be regarded as someone who contributes to society.

I think most of this thread is going off at a tangent.

As posted earlier, my view is that the vast majority of people are not racists but are concerned about the number of people coming into the country who can not or do not want to adopt this country's lifestyle, culture, language or can contribute by their abilities or skills.

Archived