Immigrant recieves 2nd highest bravery award

Well there's an equally tiny minority of non Muslims who don't respect the contributions of foreigners serving in the British army.

ps I had to delete web link before it would let me post. Is this because I am new here. Do I have to have so many post before I can have a link in my post?

"The BNP, led by Nick Griffin, called Johnson Beharry "an immigrant" and claimed his heroics, which saved the lives of 30 fellow soldiers, were simply "routine".

On its website the far-right political party states that Lance Corporal Beharry only received Britain's top military honour because of "positive discrimination by the PC-mad government".

Good point. I don't go on the british numpty partys website, but I do sometimes read the telegraph.

I find it shame that people have preconceived ideas about people because of the colour of their skin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13619825

a brave brave man, fought off the taliban single handedly

I'm proud we have soldiers like this in our armed services. The actions of this hero are highly commendable, for what he has done in the service of the country though, not for his nationality or skin colour, as motivates the OP.

Several other service personnel were honoured on the same day for acts of gallantry and bravery. Praise and thanks to them all.

--

I'm surprised that in todays modern warfare with smart missiles etc theres still room for Boys Own stuff like one man with a gun fighting off hoards of the enemy. Its incredibly impressive. But then again the Gurkha's always have been.

Good point. I don't go on the british numpty partys website, but I do sometimes read the telegraph.

I find it shame that people have preconceived ideas about people because of the colour of their skin.

Quite so.

I find the thread title very uncomfortable but not surprising considering the op's predisposition on the subject.

There are many racists on here. Why the need to goad what is already known? Why use this guy? Why not start a thread about beez wax? With the right subtle terminology racist rants could easily be achieved i'm sure, as most if not all repeat the same stuff.:D

Quite so.

I find the thread title very uncomfortable but not surprising considering the op's predisposition on the subject.

but thats the whole point, WHY are people uncomfortable with the title? is the word immigration such a dirty word? why is it such a dirty word in some peoples eyes? its not in mine.

is a ghurka an immigrant, in my eyes yes he is as ive already explained, hes a migrant worker too, a foriegn worker here

all those words fit (just) as well as gurka, british soldier, hero etc etc

its about challenging preconcieved ideas about whats acceptable.

plus the titles not been tampered with by the mods either so it must fit......just, unless theyve been asleep the last 3 or so days lol, infact the whole threads done well to stay open for 9 pages or whatever....must be a record for this type of thread?

Quite so.

There are many racists on here. Why the need to goad what is already known? Why use this guy? Why not start a thread about beez wax? With the right subtle terminology racist rants could easily be achieved i'm sure, as most if not all repeat the same stuff.:D

I'm afraid I agree with mel, the word 'immigrant' only has negative connotations to people who believe there's something wrong with them, usually those who think all immigrants are non white, poor, uneducated and tempted towards criminality.

When my youngest son was born, he was brought into the world by 3 immigrants, an Irish midwife, an African senior registrar and his amusing sidekick, a German junior doctor.

My grandparents were immigrants and I'm proud of their achievements and the motivation they demonstrated in leaving a country they were born and raised to come to an alien one in order to better themselves and the lives of their children-they're qualities that should be applauded in immigrants, they have a mindset we should all aspire to, instead of moaning about competition or having to move to another town to find work.

Sadly, sometimes it's necessary to append positive titkes to ordinary as well as exceptional people who don't fit the stereotype, otherwise the default negative view prevails.

I'm afraid I agree with mel, the word 'immigrant' only has negative connotations to people who believe there's something wrong with them, usually those who think all immigrants are non white, poor, uneducated and tempted towards criminality.

When my youngest son was born, he was brought into the world by 3 immigrants, an Irish midwife, an African senior registrar and his amusing sidekick, a German junior doctor.

My grandparents were immigrants and I'm proud of their achievements and the motivation they demonstrated in leaving a country they were born and raised to come to an alien one in order to better themselves and the lives of their children-they're qualities that should be applauded in immigrants, they have a mindset we should all aspire to, instead of moaning about competition or having to move to another town to find work.

Sadly, sometimes it's necessary to append positive titkes to ordinary as well as exceptional people who don't fit the stereotype, otherwise the default negative view prevails.

I have no problem with the word immigrant as I don't have a problem with the body of the OP. I based my post on a post made by Mel (which seems to have disappeared where he was justifying his short absence for work) I won't quote but it went along the lines of 'I had no agenda and it is or was an honest appraisal of his actions'. Knowing mel and his history I just found that a little disingenuous. I wasn't riddled with disgust or even stamping my feet. I was just uncomfortable is all.

Using a racists understanding of immigrant to make a point is self defeating as you are using his hate filled reasoning. Tbh I expected something a little more creative. All that was needed was " Gurkha is a hero". What do you think? A racist is a racist that alone is enough to pry them from the woodwork.

So. Is the thread about bravery? Or is it about racism? Personally I'm not sure which it is, which alone imo does the lad an injustice. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for weeding them out, I just think there's a time and place and mostly they don't even need an incentive.:hihi:

So. Is the thread about bravery? Or is it about racism? Personally I'm not sure which it is,

its about both

a foriegner comes to these shores and gets a medal for bravery, fair enough, but what about people who come here, work hard, sometimes in demanding jobs, pay their way, follow the law etc etc THEY STILL get demeaned, they still get lumped into the whole i hate immigration ethos, they are STILL seen as negative.

but then theres the flipside to it, there IS people on this forum that go a lot further than criticise immigration, it borders on full on xenophobia and hatred.

particulary when immigration is mentioned the first section of people to be mentioned are muslims.

as i said its to counter preconcieved views and notions about immigration and the types of people that come here.

personally i think it worked well, both in its aim and as i said......to not be deleted or locked............yet (as most immigration threads normally do)

Archived