Immigrant recieves 2nd highest bravery award

I think some people are hanging on the word immigrant. As I saw it Ghurkas serve for the country, they come here for training, are posted all over the world and leave when they're done. Don't you remember Joanna Lumley fighting for them to stay.

There's a big difference between the Ghurkas and the various degrees of immigrant we have here, some are here for money, some are here for a better life and some are here to take the ****. Lumbering Ghurkas in the same group as "The annoying type" of immigrants is plain wrong. We go over there to recruit them and they serve. I have never seen one in the Jobcentre.

I have to ask Mel when we should say no to Immigrants. I Mel aware of the capacity of the country or will Mel just blindingly push his cause?

There's a big difference between the vast majority of 'immigrants' and the 'annoying type of immigrant', just as there is between the vast majority of Brit and the annoying type.

Incidentally the Gurkha in the OP has settled here..and no doubt as he goes about his daily business in Ashford there's probably little to distinguish him or his family from the 'annoying type' that you refer to.

I think some people are hanging on the word immigrant. As I saw it Ghurkas serve for the country, they come here for training, are posted all over the world and leave when they're done. Don't you remember Joanna Lumley fighting for them to stay.

There's a big difference between the Ghurkas and the various degrees of immigrant we have here, some are here for money, some are here for a better life and some are here to take the ****. Lumbering Ghurkas in the same group as "The annoying type" of immigrants is plain wrong. We go over there to recruit them and they serve. I have never seen one in the Jobcentre.

I have to ask Mel when we should say no to Immigrants. Is Mel aware of the capacity of the country or will Mel just blindingly push his cause?

The difference is the perception of the word 'Immigrant' do you automatically think of a dishevelled asylum seeker clinging to the prop shaft of a lorry, or a highly skilled doctor from the subcontinent.

You say that some come here for a better life, so what? My friend moved to America for a 'better life'. Many people move to Spain, and many of them fail to integrate and speak the language. Should we treat them with the same disdain?

There's a big difference between the vast majority of 'immigrants' and the 'annoying type of immigrant', just as there is between the vast majority of Brit and the annoying type.

Incidentally the Gurkha in the OP has settled here..and no doubt as he goes about his daily business in Ashford there's probably little to distinguish him or his family from the 'annoying type' that you refer to.

I like that yo hang on a term. The annoying type is to emphasise that not all immigrants are as Mel sees it, bad.

He was allowed to stay here and that's fine. He served for us.

My main gripe is with Mel lying about a story for his own motives. I heard this story a month or so ago on BBC breakfast. It only takes a person like Mel to tie the story into a race /immigration thing. Am mmigrant nurse saved my toe once. Does that mean I should be happy for the country to accept any immigrant of any sort?

I have worked with immigrants and know very well the role they serve in our country. If it wasn't for them our elderly would be pretty screwed. Doesn't mean I want us to let just anyone in and there's absolutely nothing wrong with people being like that.

I'll ask you the same question. If people can't complain about immigration where's the limit? If we can't complain now when can we complain. Do you have a ball park figure or should we just keep going until we literally are back to back? It's just a hypothetical but I really would like an answer.

The difference is the perception of the word 'Immigrant' do you automatically think of a dishevelled asylum seeker clinging to the prop shaft of a lorry, or a highly skilled doctor from the subcontinent.

You say that some come here for a better life, so what? My friend moved to America for a 'better life'. Many people move to Spain, and many of them fail to integrate and speak the language. Should we treat them with the same disdain?

Do I treat any with disdain?

All these people trying to tell me how I should think. Fascism is rife.

Exactly, just proves the point of the thread, double standards.

Almost all immigrants/foriegn workers are seen as scum no matter what they do or how long they stay, bar the handfull

Does no-one else find this horribly offensive. In this one sentence Mel has labelled every immigrant as scum. I know he's parroting what he thinks UK citizens think so that means that Mel thinks all citizens of the UK think this about immigrants. Do we really Mel and do you have any proof of this. I went to town yesterday, saw a few non native and I saw natives. They were all happily mixing. You have a terrible view of the world Mel.

Only the 'annoying' ones, who in your eyes take the ****.

You saying some immigrants don't take the ****? Even the natives take the **** out of the system. Let me guess I'm racist or anti immigration for spelling out that some take the **** out of a system.

Again how do you know I hold them with anymore disdain than any other person that takes the **** out of a system I support.

Are you trying to suggest I'm racist? Go on I dare you. Not liking someone's actions regardless of colour or creed will take some manipulating if you're going to call it such.

I like that yo hang on a term. The annoying type is to emphasise that not all immigrants are as Mel sees it, bad.

He was allowed to stay here and that's fine. He served for us.

My main gripe is with Mel lying about a story for his own motives. I heard this story a month or so ago on BBC breakfast. It only takes a person like Mel to tie the story into a race /immigration thing. Am mmigrant nurse saved my toe once. Does that mean I should be happy for the country to accept any immigrant of any sort?

I have worked with immigrants and know very well the role they serve in our country. If it wasn't for them our elderly would be pretty screwed. Doesn't mean I want us to let just anyone in and there's absolutely nothing wrong with people being like that.

I'll ask you the same question. If people can't complain about immigration where's the limit? If we can't complain now when can we complain. Do you have a ball park figure or should we just keep going until we literally are back to back? It's just a hypothetical but I really would like an answer.

I think you're slightly missing the point Tony Erikson. mel's thread was definitely of the playful variety, and it doesn't take much to appreciate that it was inspired by the myriad of threads here relating to immigrants/asylum seekers that are negative in foundation-have you missed them?

Obviously the exploits of this Gurkha aren't indicative of immigrants generally, but nor are the negative threads either and we encounter many more of them on this forum-I think that was mel's point, yet I haven't seen the detractors here reflecting similarly on those threads.

Immigrants are just like the rest of us-most are unexceptional, some very talented and a minority are drawn towards criminality and anti social behaviour, none of us have any regard for the latter.

Does no-one else find this horribly offensive. In this one sentence Mel has labelled every immigrant as scum. I know he's parroting what he thinks UK citizens think so that means that Mel thinks all citizens of the UK think this about immigrants. Do we really Mel and do you have any proof of this. I went to town yesterday, saw a few non native and I saw natives. They were all happily mixing. You have a terrible view of the world Mel.

I do not think the majority of people here regard immigrants as scum.

The problem is that whenever immigration is discussed the term racist is soon heard and stifles intelligent debate.

We need to have a filter system to welcome those who have served our country or have skills the country needs to enrich it.

What most people see as unreasonable is the influx of those who do not want to live this country's lifestyle and culture, speak the language or contribute to the economy.

Just curious, what made you think they were 'non-native'?

Archived