Asylum seekers given amnesty

if your in fear of your live you escape to the nearest safe country not travel all the way across europe to a small island who,s population is larger than australia wonder why they do that

Well, if you are on a plane, it's hard to get off at 30,000 feet, just because you are over country "x".

Well, if you are on a plane, it's hard to get off at 30,000 feet, just because you are over country "x".

Erm.

A bit stupid that dont you think?

Why not buy a ticket to one of the other safe countries in between theirs and ours? That way getting out at 30.000 feet wont be a problem. Plus the ticket will be cheaper and so theyll have money for food instead of going straight to the state?

Just a thought.

Not all of them arrive by plane and Countries like France and Belgium are flouting these rules by allowing them to come to Brittain.

if your in fear of your live you escape to the nearest safe country not travel all the way across europe to a small island who,s population is larger than australia wonder why they do that

A lot of people head to Britain because they speak a bit of English as it's such a universal language.

(I just made this fact up, bit it might be true)

Not all of them arrive by plane and Countries like France and Belgium are flouting these rules by allowing them to come to Brittain.
Not that old chestnut again. I've pulled you up on it before :rolleyes:

As for the asylum thing. It's my personal opinion that many asylum seekers pass through 'safe' countries in order to get here, especially through France.

We should also hold the French government responsible for the financial burden for the 'clandestines' that attempt crossings via the channel ports. There is a massive camp known as "the jungle" full of these 'clandestines' on French soil, yet the French government refuse to deal with them.

However, I do think agree that the camps that have been set up around Calais are the responsibility of the French government and the people in them should claim asylum there.
I know for a fact that France is no 'safe' or soft-touch with clandestines/asylum-seekers, in fact vastly less so than the UK (the reason why immigrants go straight through to the UK: one of the, if not the, only EU Member States where ID papers are not compulsory).

The French Gvt has repeatedly 'cleared' the Calais camps (and others). E.g. see here (Sangatte cleared, 2002). As for 'La Jungle', well... see here (camp cleared and destroyed, arrests made, 2009).

This stems (and the problem is 'solved') in good part from the legal requirement to have identity papers (for nationals and immigrants). Makes it easy to determine status and eligibility to stay on-the-spot, and detain + 'charterize' when collared. No such system in the UK, so of course it becomes a problem once relevant persons fall 'off the grid': there is no grid to fall off from!

A bit less of "thy neighbour's eye" and all that, and a bit more research next time if you please

Perhaps we just need to try to get a better understanding of what's going on in the world before we make out that we're badly done to.
You know, Tony, I am increasingly (and worryingly :D) wondering whether truthlogic is not actually onto something...I mean, I watch news religiously on several TV channels (GB and FR) every day, always have: I can't help notice an ever-decreasing international focus in tandem with increasing 'form-over-substance' reporting in the UK, possibly contributing to a growing US-ification (insularity?) of mentalities over the past few years :suspect:

Not that old chestnut again :rolleyes:

You know, Tony, I am increasingly (and worryingly :D) wondering whether truthlogic is not actually onto something...I mean, I watch news religiously on several TV channels (GB and FR) every day, always have: I can't help notice an ever-decreasing international focus in tandem with increasing 'form-over-substance' reporting in the UK, possibly contributing to a growing US-ification (insularity?) of mentalities over the past few years :suspect:

My bold.

Why not it is true?.

If the first safe country rule was applied we would have a lot less of these people to sort out.

Why not it is true?
It's not. See my edits.

If the first safe country rule was applied we would have a lot less of these people to sort out.
As would France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc, etc.

You guys make it sound like it's so easy to collar illegals as soon as they show up at an EU border, any EU border :rolleyes:

It's not. See my edits.

As would France, Italy, Germany, Greece, Spain, etc, etc.

You guys make it sound like it's so easy to collar illegals as soon as they show up at an EU border, any EU border :rolleyes:

It is when they are trying to gain transport to this country.

France allow repeated attempts by the same people.

Archived