What is beauty?

I don't think there is an entirely objective measure of "beauty." Three hundred years ago, the larger a woman was the more attractive she was - it was a clear sign that she was rich enough to eat well.

Ninety years ago, tanned skin was a major turn-off, since it indicated manual labour in the open air. Women across the western world strove their utmost to keep their skin purest white. Nowadays, "pasty skin" is looked down upon.

Symmetry of facial features does seem to be a very widespread, if not entirely universal, hallmark of attractiveness; another one, less obvious, is the golden ratio*. I watched a documentary once on the subject - for some reason I seem to recall John Cleese presenting it, though I can't for the life of me imagine why he was chosen. I remember a model's face being deconstructed into lots of polygon, lines and angles, and the golden ratio featured heavily in the figures.

*the golden ratio is approximately 1.618.. anyone who wants to understand why is advised to Google the term.

In terms of people and animals it is those that look as healthy as possible

Sexual attraction is beauty? You think it exists in art, or music, or literature?

Frank Zappa said:``Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die``

the golden ratio*. I watched a documentary once on the subject

makes sense, the golden ratio is behind a lot of buildings that people consider to be beautifull too. Perhaps it's a ratio was are programmed to admire ?

makes sense, the golden ratio is behind a lot of buildings that people consider to be beautifull too. Perhaps it's a ratio was are programmed to admire ?

It appears to be so. Certainly, building that approach the golden ratio are considered aesthetically pleasing in almost all cultures that actually build things.

Archived