Thinking of moving to Rotherham!!

Tell you what firth park, firvale, parson cross, manor etc... Are

A million times better than eastwood, and thats saying something!

Can't argue with that! Would say Eastwood was the worst area in Rotherham myself, lock your doors and bolt your windows when travelling down the main A630 Fitzwilliam Road between the ASDA roundabout and the town centre. Shocking dump, even makes Burngreave and Pitsmoor resemble a bit like Dore and Whirlow in comparison. :hihi:

I've lived in Rotherham most of my life (aside from about 3 years where I lived the student life in Sheffield)

I've been blessed to live in Moorgate for all the time i've lived in Rotherham and it's a great area. Not far from the town centre (although there really is nothing there) but also not far from the Parkway and the M1.

I agree, you do get a lot more for your money in Rotherham. I'm buying here in the next 12 months as I know I can drive to work in Sheffield. I could get a 3 bedroomed house in a fairly decent area in Rotherham for the same price as a 2 bed house in a shocking area of Sheffield.

It's a commuter town purely and simply at the moment now that the mining and steel industry have all but gone.

Thanks for the replys guys it has been a real help. I was originally looking at Rawmarsh as some of the houses seemed very nice but think I will give it a miss as I don't want to move from one bad area to another.

I am moving from Firth Park S5 in case your wondering on why I was asking...... I have lived here nearly all my life but I have got to the point where I want to sell and get out :(

It's a commuter town purely and simply at the moment now that the mining and steel industry have all but gone.

Ok its time to come clean …. Rotherham town centre is dead, pound shops, banks and charity shops ….. the immediate suburbs are mainly councils estates some good some not so good.

Then we have the outlying villages, you cant go wrong with anything along the M1 corridor, likewise the A1 corridor or you could go north towards Barnsley.

Thanks for the replys guys it has been a real help. I was originally looking at Rawmarsh as some of the houses seemed very nice but think I will give it a miss as I don't want to move from one bad area to another.

I am moving from Firth Park S5 in case your wondering on why I was asking...... I have lived here nearly all my life but I have got to the point where I want to sell and get out :(

Rawmarsh is a very big place (largest village in the UK, with 18,000+ residents) so it has many districts. The western side towards Wentworth and Manor Farm is the quietest and is generally ok, its the Sandhill area of Rawmarsh down by Claypit Lane / Thrybergh Hall Road that is probably the worse, but still its not half as bad as what some people make it out to be. Plus large sections of the council estates are currently been pulled down (same with Canklow) so its the former reputations of the area that make it seem worse - plus its then easier to get an house and cheaper too if no one else wants them...

Only area I'd say to avoid is Eastwood (immediately to the east of the town centre). A little like Firth Park, but a whole lot worse! Take a trip down the A630 (between St Ann's Roundabout and Mushroom Roundabout) which disects the district and you can see what I'm talking about for yourself...

It's alright quoting bad areas in Sheffield and bad areas in rotherham. Of course, they're everywhere!!

The feel of Rotherham is one of a forgotten place. The centre is shocking, and to me, as I have said, the people are all the same.

Sheffield has a nice feel to it, with a mix of international students and some lovely places. Rotherham is one of those places that is often quoted negatively- such as a place know for lots of obese people, tons of teenage pregnancies etc.

Lack of education put simply.

Archived