12 months into the Tory Government - is Britain more open for business?

but when Labour have run out of money they are always the ones you need to get the country back on track again. :thumbsup:

And then the conservatives run the entire economy into the ground again, people can't get the things they want and everyone suffers , unless you're an Eton old boy. Then Labour have to spend heavily to the country back on its feet again.

I want to see at least a sign that things are genuinely improving, banks lending to small businesses would be one

If you spent yourself to the brink of bankruptcy and then decided sensibly to stop spending and start paying back what you owe, would your life appear better or worse, you can no longer have coffee out or go to restaurants. No more outings and no more new items until the debt is paid. I suspect your life would be a little miserable until you can start spending again.

I don’t see why it should be any different for the government and its going to take well over a year.

And then the conservatives run the entire economy into the ground again, people can't get the things they want and everyone suffers , unless you're an Eton old boy. Then Labour have to spend heavily to the country back on its feet again.

And the cycle continues, labour spend more money they don't have, they get kicked out conservatives don't spend so they get kicked out, labour spend more money they don't have, so get kicked out. I get the feeling this cycle will go on indefinitely.

I am no worse off now the Conservatives are in power, I can still buy what I want and I went to a local comprehensive not Eaton.:huh:

And the cycle continues, labour spend more money they don't have, they get kicked out conservatives don't spend so they get kicked out, labour spend more money they don't have, so get kicked out. I get the feeling this cycle will go on indefinitely.

I am no worse off now the Conservatives are in power, I can still buy what I want and I went to a local comprehensive not Eaton.:huh:

Chicken and egg

If you spent yourself to the brink of bankruptcy and then decided sensibly to stop spending and start paying back what you owe, would your life appear better or worse, you can no longer have coffee out or go to restaurants. No more outings and no more new items until the debt is paid. I suspect your life would be a little miserable until you can start spending again.

I don’t see why it should be any different for the government and its going to take well over a year.

Yes, the plan is for 5 years.

The most positive thing about this current govt being in office a year is that there is only 4 years to go!

Not many positive noises coming from Labour either. Its a bad time for politics right now.

the conservatives for all their failings took the sick man of europe and turned it into one of the top economies in the world. anyone with any understanding of the past 30+ years knows that.

except what they did was built on a tower of greed and debt which is now starting to collapse

How have I forgotten Major? How do you get this from my post... I recall the protests and the low pay and unemployment of his reign... It was just the back end of a bad run, but that era was pretty grim...

because you made no mention of his term even though it is a sizeable period of time almost equal to that of thatcher. your focus says more then anything you write.

labour spent heavily to get the country into the situation we are in now.

in recent history the conservatives have never run the economy into the ground. there have been recessions but we always recovered very quickly and rebounded with strong growth. in fact the uk economy was riding on a wave or prosperity when labour took office back in 1997. it only took a few years before we went from surplus to deficit and that stayed the same until the money ran out and we are now being forced to cut everything just to keep the lights on.

now we have had the longest recession and have a deficit so massive its going to take many years to fix.

except what they did was built on a tower of greed and debt which is now starting to collapse

the uk was in surplus back in 1997. it was labour that built the debt and restricted the regulation with bullion brown, not only selling our gold reserves at rock bottom prices, he also personally intervened in the creation of the Lloyds Banking Group which was only months later deemed too large to fail and needed £billions of tax payers money to prop up.

Archived