Thinking of jumping back on the bicycle

I'm breaking out my mountain bike again soon. It's been in the shed for years and my waistline is showing it :blush:

I used to cycle to work every day and also go out a lot in the countryside. I wouldn't recommend a road bike for around town. Drivers don't give two hoots about cyclists so need something you can throw about without fear of it breaking. I've even had someone in a red Calibra try and ram me off the road. Had to hop on to the pavement before smashing his wing mirror off.

Mountain bikes are fine as long as you have the right set up. Don't bother with suspension, especially rear suspension. It just saps your energy. Get a smaller frame than you would normally. This means you can raise the seat and have much more clearance for those 'OHH S***!' moments. Change the tyres for 25 x1.5 road tyres. They work really really well. Don't use clips-on's. It's embarrassing falling off cause some prat has blocked your path.

My bike is fully customized to just how i like it. It is built around an old 16" aluminum Giant pro frame. I have slicks on it. Very loose toe clips and i have also cut the bars down (helps a lot with the crappy drivers on our roads).

Ohh, and don't forget a crud catcher ;)

I think it's £30, they were writing me one out for jumping a pedestrian crossing (after the pedestrians had crossed) once before a real call came in!

Close shave that were!

The thing I find odd is that a cyclist contributes nothing to road tax yet can have such an effect on the road, the number of times I've seen one go thru a red light and I'm guessing its cos they cant be traced, if you're on the road should they carry a registration plate of some kind so the bad can be picked out of the good?

I got a hybrid, its brilliant - mountain bikes are too heavy for what I was using, racer/road bikes would kill my back. More people are getting hybrids because they are a good mixture of the two - especially if you are going to be using them for commuting etc which more people are doing these days.

My bold.

I would agree with you unless you do what i have done in my post above.

Some of the hybrids these days are really good as well. I was considering getting one that was basically a road bike with ATB handlebars.

The thing I find odd is that a cyclist contributes nothing to road tax yet can have such an effect on the road, the number of times I've seen one go thru a red light and I'm guessing its cos they cant be traced, if you're on the road should they carry a registration plate of some kind so the bad can be picked out of the good?

We've been there and had that conversation many many times on here. We don't need to do it again :|

There wasn't one. It just goes around and around for weeks before it gets locked.

Personally you not think that someone using the roads and I don't mean just crossing them should contribute to them and abide by the laws of the road? Has a cyclist ever been done for speeding out of interest as I'm sure over 30 mph on a bike is possible, by the way this isnt cycle bashing just general interest

Personally you not think that someone using the roads and I don't mean just crossing them should contribute to them and abide by the laws of the road? Has a cyclist ever been done for speeding out of interest as I'm sure over 30 mph on a bike is possible, by the way this isnt cycle bashing just general interest

The roads are paid for out of general taxation by everyone, including cyclists.

Archived