Ahh, thats better! Newcastle Brown Ale..

Are you sure you're not muddling that up with Newquay Steam? (Note spelling btw)

Crikey Strix, you've brought back some memories mentioning Newquay Steam beer, I remember having it on holiday down in Cornwall in the late 80's, early 90's. Sadly it isn't brewed anymore.

Unfortunatley the majority of you will never know what Newcastle Brown Ale really tasted like.

The original incarnation was totally different to the current beverage peddled by most off licenses. The factory was shifted sometime in 2005 from Newcastle upon Tyne to the other side of the River and then in 2010 it was shifted again to somewhere in North Yorkshire.

Connoisseurs of the original ale said they could tell the difference after the first move and now it's in Yorkshire, the taste is noticeably different. For all intent and purposes, they may as well re-name it Yorkshire Brown Ale.

Unfortunatley the majority of you will never know what Newcastle Brown Ale really tasted like.

The original incarnation was totally different to the current beverage peddled by most off licenses. The factory was shifted sometime in 2005 from Newcastle upon Tyne to the other side of the River and then in 2010 it was shifted again to somewhere in North Yorkshire.

Connoisseurs of the original ale said they could tell the difference after the first move and now it's in Yorkshire, the taste is noticeably different. For all intent and purposes, they may as well re-name it Yorkshire Brown Ale.

I didn't know that munky, just checked it out and your correct.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6319333/Newcastle-Brown-Ale-to-be-brewed-in-Yorkshire.html

technically speaking a bottle of Newcastle brown is totally differant from as you call it Newky Brown. The correct term for a bottle of Newcastle Brown is a BOTTLE OF DOG, please if you have not got your Geordie passport don't even think about trying to correct me on this one lol.

ALAN

PS if memory serves me the drink called NEWKY BROWN ALE is served down in the Bristol area on draft.

I will correct you anyhow. Newcastle Brown Ale may well have been nicknamed dog when it was brewed in Newcastle but as it is now brewed by Heineken in Tadcaster what is currently in the bottle is anyones guess.

Incidentally I recently bought some bottles of Wells Bombardier. About half of them were marked up at 5.2% and the rest at 4.7%. It just shows how the brewers are prepared to take liberties with famous names and have little regard for maintaining a particular standard if the accountants tell them there is a crust to be made.

Incidentally I recently bought some bottles of Wells Bombardier. About half of them were marked up at 5.2% and the rest at 4.7%. .

I noticed the exact same thing with Carlsberg a few weeks ago. I had a few cans of it then all of a sudden i opened one that tasted like it had gone out of date. I checked the dates and all was fine. The only difference was that the normal tasting ones were 4% compared to the crappy tasting ones which i noticed were down at 3.7%

Newcastle Brown .....

I used to drink it in't Wap back in't day ;)

The way it was consumed there was to upend the bottle into the pint glass then slowly draw the bottle back up ....

I did learn not to drink it after a while - I'm not an argumentative type, nor violent, but a couple of bottles of the stuff can make me quite difficult :D - it just has that affect on me :roll::hihi:

Very true. Oz Clarke and James May visited the "new" plant a few years ago in their Drink to Britain series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhckP5tpljU&feature=related

About 8 minutes in is where they visit the plant.

I'm able to boast I've never tasted the imposter versions then ;)

Newcastle Brown .....

I used to drink it in't Wap back in't day ;)

The way it was consumed there was to upend the bottle into the pint glass then slowly draw the bottle back up ....

I did learn not to drink it after a while - I'm not an argumentative type, nor violent, but a couple of bottles of the stuff can make me quite difficult :D - it just has that affect on me :roll::hihi:

Are you sure that didn't have anything to do with the contents of the smog you were inhaling in there? ;)

Drinking anything other than snakebite in the Wap was a crime!
don't be daft! JD and coke, and a bottle of dog were far worthier drinks - if you were over 15 :P

Archived