Should obese people be allowed on aircraft ?

They have the limits and a charge if you go over as an incentive to pack lightly, every one can't take what they want or there wouldn’t be enough space, and if they made every one remove items to get the weight down it would cause too much incontinence.

Well...that's what airlines claim, but have you noticed how the luggage limit has come down, and the fines increased?...they have to get the cost back from offering cheap tickets..

I think we must not have discrimination to anyone. We must respect everybody's rights whatever sizes or whoever person is that be. We must love and respect in order to gain their also.

We're discriminating against thin (or light) people. We charge them more, for combined weight (person + luggage) than we do for heavy people.

Discrimination, plain and simple.

We're discriminating against thin (or light) people. We charge them more, for combined weight (person + luggage) than we do for heavy people.

Discrimination, plain and simple.

Maybe you ought to tell the airlines they're doing it wrong? :)

Originally Posted by andikay View Post

They have the limits and a charge if you go over as an incentive to pack lightly, every one can't take what they want or there wouldn’t be enough space, and if they made every one remove items to get the weight down it would cause too much incontinence.

Are you absolutely sure it would cause incontinence? :o

Yes there might be involuntary leakage of urine when a woman starts jumping about ranting that they are only a couple of grams over the weight and when they have to lift the heavy suitcase and remove some items, it will also cause a little inconvenience to the airport if everyone as to take items out of the bag because it is too heavy. :D

Price of ticket should be determined by combined weight of person and luggage.

I weigh only 8 stone and, provided I travel light, I could go anywhere for almost mothing !

What a splendid idea !

Whilst on the face of it this sounds like a good idea there are other considerations which need to be taken into account. One of which is the available space for luggage. If you envisage a situation whereby lower body mass folks can make up their weight allowance with extra luggage then some flights may find themselves in the situation whereby there is not enough space in the hold.

Of course, I say this with absolutely no idea of how space in the hold there is.

Provided this issue can be overcome then I think the fairest way of charging should be...

1) Premium for the seat with some measure in place such that anyone with a girth of sufficient magnitude to require two seats has to pay up for two.

2) Premium for total weight to be conveyed.

3) A limit on volume of luggage.

jb

Weight is important for planes. I'm not sure that they often run out of space in the hold. More weight means they need to use more fuel. Volume can be harder to measure & probably isn't so important.

If it was just a straight price per kilo for flights, no excess baggage limits or anything, then if you want to take more luggage, you pay more, that'd probably encourage people to carry the minimum luggage rather than 'just under the limit' & lead to less luggage. Less fuel used, less greenhouse gas emissions - it'd save the world & mean that skinny people who don't need 4 changes of outfit per day (like me) pay less.

There should be another extra charge if you require two seats, or a specially designed extra large seat.

How are you going to enforce this?

Someone 5foot1, weighing 16 stone is clearly going to be very large.

Someone 6foot3, weighing 17 stone is likely to just look normal.

I'm the latter, so if the former was allowed on, but I wasn't, I'd be very upset.

Weight alone isn't a good barometer.

BMI doesn't work either as it doesn't take account of muscle mass. Tom Cruise for example apparently has a BMI of about 32, so would be obese. He's actually just short but well built.

So really it couldn't ever be enforced.

How are you going to enforce this?

Someone 5foot1, weighing 16 stone is clearly going to be very large.

Someone 6foot3, weighing 17 stone is likely to just look normal.

I'm the latter, so if the former was allowed on, but I wasn't, I'd be very upset.

Weight alone isn't a good barometer.

BMI doesn't work either as it doesn't take account of muscle mass. Tom Cruise for example apparently has a BMI of about 32, so would be obese. He's actually just short but well built.

So really it couldn't ever be enforced.

Simple, if you take up more than one seat you pay more. If you wobble you pay more. If one of your arse cheeks hangs off the seat and blocks the aisle you pay more, though I think if you block the aisle you should be booted off.

Archived