Should obese people be allowed on aircraft ?

Yes, it's all extra weight & bulk, why should it make any difference on a plane?

Captaining an aircraft is a delicate balance between the weight of the cargo and the amount of fuel needed to get to the destination. Weight costs money, as it needs more fuel to transport it.

So people maybe should be charged according to their weight. Why do you think they weigh your suitcases? Just for the sake of it? Or maybe to work out how much fuel they need? :|

I would be the first to assist a fat person out of the emergency exit just so long as he or she agreed to let me board as sole passenger :D

:hihi:

But seriously, is it true that lots of people there are obese, as we read in the papers? I don't believe it.

To give an economic argument; it makes more sense to fly a plane full of people even if some are overweight, than to fly a plane with empty seats. That is why it makes a difference. It isn't as easy as saying "if you weigh more you pay more".

Secondly the moral argument, because being muscly isn't "amoral", which I presume is the attack on obese people flying. It is unfair to charge a person more because they choose to go to the gym. That is without factoring in that some people are heavier without choosing to be so.

Thats not quite true, yield is way more important than just filling up the plane. Sometimes it is better just to not sell a seat. I have a friend who works in revenue management for a very large airline and he tells me its a very techincal and complicated process airline pricing.

A very simple example is, aircraft with 150 seats. Airlines sells all 150 seats with an average price of £200 or airline sells 135 seats but with an average price of £225.

:hihi:

But seriously, is it true that lots of people there are obese, as we read in the papers? I don't believe it.

Better believe it. People here generally run to various types, the morbidly obese (meaning whale sized), the unsightly overweight, the pleasingly plump but then again you have lots of people who work out and have really great bodies.

Some really beautiful girls to be seen on our many beaches during summer. I met my future wife on one.

First of all I don't want you to think that i'm "fatist" "obeseist" or any other " ist ", but the situation does pose serious problems on aircrafts. I was recently returning from tenerife & there was an obese chap on the flight, he was on one of the inner seats next to the aisle, he was only able to fit one buttock on the seat & the other half of his body was hanging out into the aisle making it difficult for people to get past, & the people sitting next to him had extreme difficulty getting out to go to the toilet, etc, apart from these problems what could happen in the event of an emergency evacuation? perhaps special seats could be installed for the larger person, but i do think they should have to pay extra if that were to happen, after all everyone has to pay extra for excess baggage!

Well why do we have a weight limit on our luggage , but not personally. A person of say, 20 stones has the same weight allowance of someone of 8 stones. Why not have an overall weight allowance which includes personal and baggage weight or is that not feasible :huh:

i think there is no excuse for being overweight

when i started to get a podge i joined a gym. straight forward

self respect and a healthy lifestyle plays a big part

im sick of hearing its the person on the inside that counts

thats my opinion and im entitled to it

p.s travel tickets wether bein car , train , plane etc should be adhered to by a persons weight

Well why do we have a weight limit on our luggage , but not personally. A person of say, 20 stones has the same weight allowance of someone of 8 stones. Why not have an overall weight allowance which includes personal and baggage weight or is that not feasible :huh:

No, it's not.

As I've said, I'm 6'3". I weigh about 15 and a half stone-ish. I'm not fat. I go to the gym regularly and run marathons. Why should I pay more than some fat woman, who weighs say 11 stone, but is 5foot? She'd be clearly obese - I'm in shape, but she weighs four stone less than me.

How's it fair that I'm penalised with less luggage for the fact that I'm tall!

Until you can find a fair way of measuring (and there isn't one), then you're not going anywhere with this.

BMI doesn't take account of muscle. Weight doesn't take account of height. You could just look at people and charge those clearly overweight more, but that's subjective to the person assessing and imagine the problems at checkin! "Are you saying I'm obese" would be a common war cry from mildly tubby people.

Archived