Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

A new book claims the word "chav" is helping to reignite class war. The journalist Polly Toynbee calls it "the vile word at the heart of fractured Britain".

According to some commentators the term "chav" is a coded attack by the middle classes on the downtrodden, poor working class.

One contributor to the article above sees it a term of jealousy used by the besuited middle classes against those perceived as younger, more flash who are just out having fun.

Personally I'd always thought that the term was used, in part, to describe people who exhibited anti-social behaviour. Not just that they wore burberry and a silly cap and chains, but thay they effed and blinded in the street, gobbed everywhere and assumed an aggressive attitude.

Or was I wrong and is it as offensive, as Polly Toynbee seems to think, as calling someone a **** or the N word?

Argued this for years. It's as offensive as the N and P word to me. Some argue that the N and P word are labelling people on things they have no control over. Like poverty.

Not sure it's people's financial state that gets them described as chav..more their behaviour..

'Chavvy' behaviour (aggressiveness, brashness, selfishness, materialistic attitude) isn't particular to the working class. Lots of wealthy people engage in it - the Daily Mail recently did a 100 chav rich list. And I think was criticised Prince Harry went to a chav party dressed in a shell suit and burberry!

In spite of the above some people do use chav as a term of class hatred and suspicion. People who live on council / social housing estates, wear shell suits, women who have hair scraped back (sometimes called a chav facelift) or have an aggressive looking dog in tow are seem as chavs. Who's to say that that person isn't working and contributing to society? We all stereotype - but I think it's seen as socially acceptable to tarnish people who are poor or part of an underclass.

A new book claims the word "chav" is helping to reignite class war. The journalist Polly Toynbee calls it "the vile word at the heart of fractured Britain".

According to some commentators the term "chav" is a coded attack by the middle classes on the downtrodden, poor working class.

One contributor to the article above sees it a term of jealousy used by the besuited middle classes against those perceived as younger, more flash who are just out having fun.

Personally I'd always thought that the term was used, in part, to describe people who exhibited anti-social behaviour. Not just that they wore burberry and a silly cap and chains, but thay they effed and blinded in the street, gobbed everywhere and assumed an aggressive attitude.

Or was I wrong and is it as offensive, as Polly Toynbee seems to think, as calling someone a **** or the N word?

By nature when their out n about on their own the younger generation tend to be anti-social, and probably always have been. The difference now is personal barriers are very low. As a kid i was anti social but unconsciously I knew my limitations within society. Limitations are almost non existent dependent on the way you're raised today, so the borderline is constantly crossed over. A product of society rather than themselves.

Not sure it's people's financial state that gets them described as chav..more their behaviour..

I disagree. There were many threads on here just labelling anyone stood on the street doing nothing or wearing a tracksuit as a chav. Do we call a banker thief a chav? I know people would a poor thief.

I'd argue that 'chav' is a word about taste in clothes and music, etc. rather than social class, although i'd also concede that 'chav' tastes may be more prevalent in 'working class' people than, say,' middle class' people. The problem is; how do you define 'working class' and 'middle class'? It's not so straightforward any more.

Archived