Is the term "chav" an insult to the poor working class?

I agree it is. I go with Wikis definition. It implies inheritance or having a path made for you. Usually a hand up is given.

How does it imply that?

A good education is available to all.

Owning a family home is dependent on income, not assistance.

And income is dependent on doing something with that good education that is available to all, which would include working in a managerial or professional role.

I'm middle class, my parents weren't (although you could argue that they are now). And apart from encouraging my education they didn't give me any hand ups.

I'd never heard of Chav before I joined the forum, but theres always been snobbery between the middle class in Sheffield, don't know about other parts of England, never worked elsewhere , I do remember the girls telling me that they would never want people to know they worked in a factory, by thinking that way they must have been snobs too, even people that live on some Estates where we grew up are looked down upon now, maybe things have changed for the worst now, but believe me middle class snobbery has been around a long time in Sheffield.

And inverted snobbery likewise. For over 20 years we lived in an area of Doncaster that was considered 'snobby'. Most of our neighbours were in ordinary jobs but chose to live there. There were some very large houses, with some seriously rich people. But some people immediately labelled anyone who lived there as a snob. We preferred a small house there to a much larger one in a different place for all sorts of reasons, but mainly to do with the sort of behaviour we knew we could reasonably expect. And because of the low crime rates and good schools.

Being a chav isn't about money, although the style is generally more obvious in less affluent areas. Its about attitude, behaviour, life choices, and appearance. Someone used the term 'juvenile delinquents', but chavs aren't necessary delinquent, and neither are they all young. We had teddie boy & girls in the 50s, and some of them continued to dress in a similar fashion well into middle (and older) age.

How a person speaks, how they dress, what they eat, how their home is furnished, what they call their children are all indicators we pick up on to categorise others subconsciously. We all see some things as positives, and some as negatives, depending on our own upbringing and values.

How does it imply that?

A good education is available to all.

Owning a family home is dependent on income, not assistance.

And income is dependent on doing something with that good education that is available to all, which would include working in a managerial or professional role.

I'm middle class, my parents weren't (although you could argue that they are now). And apart from encouraging my education they didn't give me any hand ups.

^ Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well, except to add that I've worked hard, over many years, for what I've now got. I'm proud of my achievements and I resent the implication that somehow I got here having had a hand up. I had no- one who COULD give me a hand up.

^ Exactly. Couldn't have put it better myself. Well, except to add that I've worked hard, over many years, for what I've now got. I'm proud of my achievements and I reserve t the implication that somehow I got here having had a hand up. I had no- one who COULD give me a hand up.

See my post #99 totally agree

Although in theory anyone could be called a chav depending on behaviour and attitude, it's interesting that as this article from the DM shows, it's people from working class backgrounds who are labelled as chavs (those who make up the 'nouveaux riches').

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-409087/The-Chav-Rich-List.html

A lot of this reminds me of Nancy Mitford's U and non U classifications of the upper classes.

It implies inheritance or having a path made for you. Usually a hand up is given.
That is the politics of envy couched loud and clear, methinks ;)

I'd love to read your explanation for all the 'middle class' professional immigrants, btw :D

The term Chav was coined by the modern right wing' date=' its the new term for "the undeserving poor".[/quote']

Looks like not.

Is that opinion or fact? If fact then where from?

I suppose its my opinion, but "chav" is a fairly modern term aimed at the so called "underclass", and I dont think such terms originate from the left wing , do you? :roll:

I suppose its my opinion' date=' but "chav" is a fairly modern term aimed at the so called "underclass", and I dont think such terms originate from the [i']left[/i] wing , do you? :roll:

Why? Don't the left call people names? :roll: right back at you :)

Archived